Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Some basic Questions from a Newbie About GMing :)

Hello! So first off I just want to say that Im TOTALLY STOKED to have found this place. I've been doing RPG's on forums for quite some time but this tabletop RPing is just amazing. Now, I have a basic understanding of things from having watched some youtube campaigns, but I do have a few refresher questions (since most of the campaigns I've seen looked pretty experienced so they didn't cover basic things). Anyways, I want to know what the basic info a GM should need is. I already know how to prepare maps and get the story going so I don't need help with the actual game, it's the Dice that I need help figuring out, and a few certain details regarding skills and such.  So, what Im hoping to find are some in-depth descriptions of; - Skill Checks; does this require 1d20 plus the skills corresponding modifyer (for for example if the skill is Ride would I use the Dex mod) or does the skill itself have it's own value? And if so how do I calculate that value? - How do I determine the health of a character? - How do I switch in new character sheets instead of the basic one provided? - Are there any useful tips or obvious info that you feel I should know?
That all depends on what game system you are playing. For example I'm running a DnD 4E campaign.