Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[3.5] Critical success calculations

I have an unusual calculation for critical success with attacks in 3.5. The standard is, if your attack roll is 10 higher than the targets armor class you get a critical. With weapons that have a critical range this is reduced, so a sword with a normal critical range of 19-20 gets a critical at 9 higher than the armor class and so on. So, I tried to have it as attack roll cs> (weapon's critical range-10+target armor) but it doesn't seem to work. Actual macro is [[1d20+@{selected|weapon1stat}+@{selected|weapon1enh}+@{selected|weapon1focus}+@{selected|babmab}+@{selected|sizemodmab} cs>[[@{selected|weapon1critmin}-10+@{target|bar2}]]]]

Edited 1500701334
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
The crit indicator needs to come directly after the d20 roll. try: [[1d20cs>[[@{selected|weapon1critmin}-10+@{target|bar2}]]+@{selected|weapon1stat}+@{selected|weapon1enh}+@{selected|weapon1focus}+@{selected|babmab}+@{selected|sizemodmab} ]] Though I think the cs calc might actually need to look something like:  [[(@{target|bar2}+10)-(20-@{selected|weapon1critmin})]] for (AC+10) - (the adjusted crit min which is subtracted from 20 so you have the actual crit delta) Hope this helps. edit: clarified some wording.
So, the calculation can only count the actually die roll and not the modifiers? That seems to be my problem. For instance, my fighter has a +8 attack. So, if he rolls a 16 and gets a total of 24, than he should get a critical against an AC of 14 or lower. However, if he rolls only a 10 than he can only get a critical against an AC of 8 or lower. So, the macro needs to show a critical based on the total result, not the natural roll.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I believe that a crit threat is only based off of the actual die roll.  I.e. if your weapon crits on 19, 20 ,you would need to roll a 19 or 20 (w/out modifiers) to then roll a crit confirm(w/modifiers to hit AC) to verify.  Nat 20 not needing a confirmation roll.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
I'll agree with Vince that that's an odd way to look at crits for 3.5, but I know people have house-ruled other things before. To get the calculations to work correctly for a crit indicator of the kind you are talking about, you will need to adjust your target number so that you are basing it purely on the natural roll.  The crit indicators in Roll20 only work off the natural roll. So something like: [[1d20cs>[[(@{target|bar2}+10)-(20-@{selected|weapon1critmin}) -(all the various bonuses and penalties to the roll: ie they should sum up to 8 for your fighter)]] +(all the various bonuses and penalties to the roll) ]]
Yes, it is a house rule. I use loads of them. Thank you for the assistance. I will see if it works
It seems to work.