Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Keeping character attributes with tokens, or dragging a character onto a map

I've been using Roll20 for a few years now , though I'm hardly a power user, and this has always driven me crazy. Should I be able to drag a character from the Journal to the map? I've never been able to get that to work. I have default tokens assigned to the characters in the journal. If I try to drag a character from the journal to the map, it doesn't do anything. It drags over the little hamburger menu, and then when I drop it, nothing. If I drag character's token from the art library onto the map then the token appears, but has no attributes and I have to edit the token and put a value in the Represents Character field. So every time the players go to a map for the first time, I have to drag the tokens over from the art library and set them all up. Logically I should be able to drag a character from the journal and it should put the default token on the map, and the token should have all the character attributes assigned. That way I go to a new map, drag the characters on from the journal, and the players can then control the token without any further messing around. I did some google on this and get the idea maybe it is supposed to work that way, but haven't been able to get it to work. I followed the 3 steps listed out here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3079740/cannot-i" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3079740/cannot-i</a>... (scroll down to 2nd to last post) and nothing. No change. Still can't drag a character onto the map directly, and have to drag from the art library and then set up the token attributes every time. Can Roll20 do this and I just haven't been able to get things set up correctly (and if that is the case then I have to say that getting it set up is not intuitive enough)? If so then can someone walk me through the steps? And if not, why? If you can drag a token on from the art library it doesn't seem like it should be so hard to drag a character on from the Journal, and automatically used the assigned token and attributes. Any help is greatly appreciated, Ben
OK, so the problem was I was dragging from the little picture instead of from the name. Why is it set up like that? You should be able to drag the little picture over and have it work. I feel it's very unintuitive. Several years of frustration because of that one design decision! I doubt if I'm the only one.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The little hamburger icon is a common icon showing list order. The intent is for you to be able to use it to order your journals. The question does come up from time to time. If you have had years of frustration, I feel for you. That is annoying. Please post to the forum long before you get to that point. There are lots of people here willing to help.