Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question about use of Premium Content

My friends and I would like to start a playthrough of the Storm King's Thunder. I see that I can buy the module from the website for everything to be pre-done, however, I already own a physical copy of the book. Is there a way I can use the module without having to effectively double pay for it? Or do I have to suck it up and do everything from scratch? Thank you for your answers. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The print book and the module are separate products, there is no discount for having the physical copy. What you're paying for with the module is hundreds of hours of work setting up the module's maps (with GM notes, dynamic lighting, tokens placed, etc), setting up all the monsters (full stats, pictures, bio details, etc), and setting up all the adventure details in handouts(organized in folders, with pictures, cross-linked, etc).  Really, its kind of like owning the book they based a movie on and expecting to get the bluray movie for free. 
And technically, you could (as long as it was for your own game) scan the maps and images in the books and create your own handouts all for free!  And when you're done, you'll see why you're being charged for the digital content - there's a lot of work that goes into that. That being said, it would be nice to see some kind of a "package deal" from WOTC, whereby you could get digital copies with purchase of the hard copy - maybe not of every page, but at least of the maps in some of these books to be used on a VTT.  Just my own opinion.  They don't give you blue-rays with a book, but you can buy blue-rays and DVDs with an included downloadable copy of the movie.
The Aaron said: The print book and the module are separate products, there is no discount for having the physical copy. What you're paying for with the module is hundreds of hours of work setting up the module's maps (with GM notes, dynamic lighting, tokens placed, etc), setting up all the monsters (full stats, pictures, bio details, etc), and setting up all the adventure details in handouts(organized in folders, with pictures, cross-linked, etc).  Really, its kind of like owning the book they based a movie on and expecting to get the bluray movie for free.  I actually didn't think of it that way. It probably should have occurred to me that you guys are not WoTC, and are actually people providing a service that uses their materials, but with their own hard work to compile it all together. So thank you. I'll have to suck it up then and do it myself as well.  Gozer the Gozerian said: And technically, you could (as long as it was for your own game) scan the maps and images in the books and create your own handouts all for free!  And when you're done, you'll see why you're being charged for the digital content - there's a lot of work that goes into that. That being said, it would be nice to see some kind of a "package deal" from WOTC, whereby you could get digital copies with purchase of the hard copy - maybe not of every page, but at least of the maps in some of these books to be used on a VTT.  Just my own opinion.  They don't give you blue-rays with a book, but you can buy blue-rays and DVDs with an included downloadable copy of the movie. See, that's along the lines of what I was thinking of when I posted this topic. Thank you for understanding that. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
If you'd like the "try before you buy" experience, I can invite you to a game that is based on SKT.