Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Deconstructing purchased modules

I am new to Roll20, but not to RPGs.  I am interested in GMing on here, mostly with Pathfinder. I am not particularly skilled with graphics and am not averse to investing in pre-made maps/terrain, etc.  If I purchase a 5th edition module, the AAW bundles as an example, can the maps/tokens, etc be used in adventures that I write myself?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I've taken a module from roll20 and converted it to my game system. It is a process but it is doable. You would have to purchase the module or addon and delete what you don't want then rewrite what you keep to suit your game. There is a free module or two in the marketplace that you can try out and see how it goes.
OK, so the pieces do not just show up in the art library that you can grab and use?  That is good to know.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Nothing goes into your library unless you purchase a token bundle. Modules have maps, page or two of tokens (depending on the module), journals (handouts and character sheets). Depending on the module, the maps might have dynamic lighting (for those that are subscribers) or fog of war enabled. The character sheets are usually tied to a specific sheet so if you use a different sheet, there will be lots of work changing that. Handouts are easier as they are just text with some links in them that allow a person to click and open another journal.
Thanks for the help.  Since I am very unlikely to start playing 5E, I may end up sticking with map packs and token packs, rather than modules.  You have helped keep me from wasting money.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Sorry it isn't what you wanted. What system do you use for your games?
Pathfinder.  I also might try to run/play some Savage Worlds or Conan 2d20. I have nothing against 5E, I haven't tried it.  I like PF and have invested a lot of time and capital into 3.5/PF materials.  I REALLY didn't like 4E.  I run 13th Age for some friends, because that is what they like, but I am not excited by it. I have a lot of Skelton Key game tiles which I can import as jpg and use, but one can never have too many well made maps to inspire.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I was stuck on Pathfinder for a while until I tried 5e. Haven't gone back since, but I get it. When you invest that much into the books, it's hard to just let go. As for the Modules, they don't get uploaded to your library for custom use, but you can individually download the assets and re-upload them into other games. It's a bit of work but doable. Add-ons are the same way, except you can choose an existing campaign to "add-on" the contents to (where Modules require you to create a new campaign). Art Assets are the best way to go in my opinion, because you can add them individually as you need to your campaigns, and most tile set packs can be downloaded and used to assemble a map in another program (like Gimp or Photoshop). This makes your load time better on pages with larger maps, because instead of having 500 tiles make up an image, you have one image for your PC to load up. Hope this advice helps, and happy gaming!
I have a lot of Skeleton Key tile sets that I have used through the years.  They have an online site that helps assemble maps and then download the map and tiles as jpgs.  The maps a very large, so I will need to play with them to get them to a smaller size, but still looking good.  I have one very large map (60x60 squares) that runs 14 megs that I want to use to test different ways to reduce.
Gold
Forum Champion
Alan, there are some Pathfinder compatible modules in the Marketplace too. Sounds like you got good information from the thread already, and you have good reasons for using Token packs and Map packs to make your own, but if you want to look at some Module products that could work easily with PF, check out some of these examples:&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/21/la" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/21/la</a>... <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/49/to" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/49/to</a>... <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/45/th" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/45/th</a>...
Nice!&nbsp; I especially like the look of the Land of Belfum.&nbsp; A nice place to drop a game into, from the looks.&nbsp; The game I am currently working on is a dungeon crawl, so just needs a city, which I will probably play by ear, not lay out tactically.&nbsp; I have an idea for another game, though, that could use a world to drop it into.
Gold
Forum Champion
I ran the Lands Of Belfum module on Roll20 and it was excellent, so I would recommend that module product to you. That's the only one from the list that I have actually had a chance to play through. There is a short story-line that takes a few adventures to complete the quest, and then there are a lot of extra maps (and extra monster tokens) that you can use for your own adventures. You could actually use it for your City because there are a few village and city maps in it (ones that actually can be used tactically). After completing the main quest line, I used one of the western-themed town maps to create another whole adventure that involved flying manticore attacks against the party & villagers in the city streets.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Alan W. said: Pathfinder.&nbsp; I also might try to run/play some Savage Worlds or Conan 2d20. I have nothing against 5E, I haven't tried it.&nbsp; I like PF and have invested a lot of time and capital into 3.5/PF materials.&nbsp; I REALLY didn't like 4E.&nbsp; I run 13th Age for some friends, because that is what they like, but I am not excited by it. I have a lot of Skelton Key game tiles which I can import as jpg and use, but one can never have too many well made maps to inspire. My stuff is released in a 3.5E OGL format, and a 5E format (different purchases) and I have other stuff in the pipeline. If you get it and have issues, let me know.