Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

My Library items and folder structure disappeared

Greetings all!  I seem to have broken my library somehow, and I'm looking for help.  Short version: I uploaded a lot of images, tried to organize them, Roll20 acted funny and then my entire library disappeared. Details: I had hundreds of art assets uploaded and categorized in folders for quick access.  I went to upload some more today, as usual moving them from my computer to the Upload window. As usual, they appeared in the Recent Uploads section.  I then moved all of them from Recent Uploads to one sub-folder (Stock) in my library.  As usual, copies still appeared in Recent Uploads.  So I hit the Filter Out Items Already In Your Library button.  And that's when things got weird.  The Recent Uploads section continued to show my new uploads, and also showed dozens (maybe hundreds) of items that I'd already organized months ago and had cleared from Recent.  I clicked the Filter button again, no change.  To be clear, the rest of my organized library was intact at this point, including my new entries. So, I selected all the Recent Uploads and deleted them.  Confirmed in the "are you sure" dialogue. At that point, my entire library structure disappeared.  Folders and files.  My Recent Uploads section is populated with some items that I uploaded months ago, but nothing from today or my uploads over the last few weeks. I have most of these art assets on my computer, and can replace them.  But doing so is inconvenient when I already invested the time in uploading them to roll20 and organizing them.  I'd been talking myself into the subscription for API access, but this is souring me on the notion. Is there any way to revert or fix something like this?  Or is this just a lesson to not trust the library for managing a lot of files?
Oh, before anyone asks, I was at 40mb out of 100mb as far as my file limit for a non-subscriber. And now I realize that Characters and Notes I had created are still there, but most of them are showing broken image icons instead of the pictures that should be in my (nicely organized) library.
Hi Danny K. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the Image Library. I personally know how frustrating it can be to lose all that hard work organizing. Sadly, we are not able to revert image loss in this way, so you are likely to need to re-upload the lost images. The way to look at it is that the files that show up in the recent uploads are still the same file as those you have sorted. We do not make multiple copies of your images (as that would eat up your storage space). All the best,
Is this something that cannot be fixed by rolling back the campaign to a previous point?  I thought the roll-back ability would include the library.

Edited 1502546336
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Valerie M. said: Is this something that cannot be fixed by rolling back the campaign to a previous point?  I thought the roll-back ability would include the library. Good thought, however the Art Library and uploaded images are tied to user accounts, not individual Games.
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.   Somehow I got the impression that Recent Uploads was basically just a list of shortcuts to the actual files, and that if I had them organized in the library proper they'd be safe.  Now I know, and I'll just change the way I use the Art Library.  Still odd that even my entire folder directory vanished too.  Ah well.
Agreed, the way the art is structured seems to imply that "recent uploads" is some temporary, unimportant thing, and the library itself is where the images are stored. Learned this the hard way today, but at least now I know better than to delete "unnecessary doubles" from recent uploads. :-)