Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Adventure Modules

If I were to purchase an adventure and it only came in one character sheet format (for example OGL), how hard is it to convert the whole adventure over to another sheet (say the shaped sheet)? Is it worth my time or should I look into something else?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
In the case of the Shaped Sheet, it's pretty much automatic. =D
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The 71st Dragon said: If I were to purchase an adventure and it only came in one character sheet format (for example OGL), how hard is it to convert the whole adventure over to another sheet (say the shaped sheet)? Is it worth my time or should I look into something else? As someone who makes modules, we can either 'build it in a sheet' just like you do with your own games, or use some method I don't know about to have multiple character sheet types in a game and maybe doesn't exist.  So games will likely have to be released with a "Standard Sheet" for that system, and for my stuff personally it is either Diana P's 3.5 Edition Sheet or the 5EOGL Sheet.

Edited 1503152254
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I am a huge fan of the Shaped Sheet. However, we have had major issues with transferring OGL adventures to Shaped Sheet. We have had to pretty much create new sheets for our Storm King's Thunder game. After talking to the Shaped Sheet creator's, we were able to release a few modules with both Shaped and OGL versions of each sheet. Search by author,"Mark Stern" to check them out. 
The Aaron said: In the case of the Shaped Sheet, it's pretty much automatic. =D That has not been the case for me. I had to open each sheet for it to convert, or use the companion API command to update all (which sometimes chokes when there are a lot of sheets). Granted, I'm not using the latest version of sheet or script. But regardless, since we don't use the same token bars for HP and such as the default for the marketplace module, I have to go into each and every sheet and rejigger those settings for the tokens, resave as default token and then replace the existing tokens. Again, the companion script helps here so I can select a token, run apply defaults command to semi-automatically rejigger the token settings. A fair amount of work but I do it while I familiarize myself with the module. And a lot less work than doing it all by hand myself.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Andrew (Halfling Gypsy) said: The 71st Dragon said: If I were to purchase an adventure and it only came in one character sheet format (for example OGL), how hard is it to convert the whole adventure over to another sheet (say the shaped sheet)? Is it worth my time or should I look into something else? As someone who makes modules, we can either 'build it in a sheet' just like you do with your own games, or use some method I don't know about to have multiple character sheet types in a game and maybe doesn't exist.  So games will likely have to be released with a "Standard Sheet" for that system, and for my stuff personally it is either Diana P's 3.5 Edition Sheet or the 5EOGL Sheet. I created my Add-On, Temple of Na Zelja Boga with the Shaped Sheet format. I am personally a fan of that sheet, so that's why I used it for my Add-On, as I will in future Add-Ons and Modules unless the whole community comes after me with the pitchforks. I do plan to state that in each Add-On and Module I create as to not cause confusion... and hopefully avoid the pitchforks that way too..  I have noticed with the translation of some Modules made for the SRD converting to the Shaped Sheet, most things will transfer over, not always though. 
Thank you for all the responses. That being said. How do yawning portal and curse of straud transfer? both of them say they are SRD sheet