Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Card Deck] SAGA Rules, Display, and Summation

Hey Team, For those of you unfamiliar with the card-based SAGA rules of the 90s, it is an RPG played with cards to determine an action score. There are five card suits. Four of the five can be trump suits. Ex. Captain America has a 10 Strength and a +5 shield, making his base attack score 15. His player plays a 9 of Intellect, making his action score 24. If the player had played a 6 of Strength, it would be considered a 'trump' card. In this case the top card of the deck would be flipped over, face up, and added to the score. If the card flipped was a Strength card as well, the process would continue until a non-Strength card was flipped. What I would like would like to get from either a macro or API script would be: A way to flip the top card of the deck directly onto the board, face up (rather than deal it to anyone in particular) A way (and this is a stretch) to add values to the cards and automatically sum them with the character's attributes/abilities (which would be input on the sheet) Thanks in advance.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The first is not possible with the API. It doesn't have that kind of access. The second would be possible, but there might be some hidden difficulties.  It would need to be based on either the name of the card (if that could be trusted) or the url of the image of the card.  You'd need to catch the events for the hand being decreased by that card and the creation of the card on the table, then apply the change to some transient attribute on the character controlled by the player who's hand was decreased.  Similarly, you'd monitor the change event for the deck to know when a card was taken from there and played to the table.  There would be some timing concerns to deal with.  None of it is difficult, but some of it is complex.
Fair enough. In that case, I'd like a macro that would allow me to deal the top card to myself (the GM). I guess I will just manually put it on the board. Thanks.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
There isn't a way for the API to deal cards. The sum total of what the API can do with cards is this: 1) Read any data about cards (what cards are in peoples hands, what cards are in the deck and in what order, what the names and images of them are. 2) Infer what cards are in the discard from which ones are part of the deck, but not "in" it or player hands. 3) Set some of the configurations parameters of the deck. 3) Change the names and images of cards. Anything that has an _ in front of it can't be changed, the others probably can: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Objects#Deck" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Objects#Deck</a> To give you an example of the convoluted API/Deck interaction, I wrote a script that allowed the gm to reorder the cards in the deck. &nbsp;The way it worked didn't actually change the order of the cards because the API can't change that. &nbsp;Instead, it changed the cards at the right points in the order to be other cards. &nbsp;This only works for cards with images that are in a User Library, of course.
Is there a reason you can't just change whatever you want to change about the appearance of cards on the table, such as orientation and size, then drag the card right out onto the table? Why does it need to be "just a click" instead of "just a drag"?