Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problem with Import to a game.

Edited 1506064436
Hello, I have a Pro Account and my own game I'm developing, but I also play in a game called "Tibaeria, The Living World" wherein I have three characters. In order to set up macros for my characters, new tokens, and some other changes, I exported the characters to my vault then imported them into my own private gamevtable called "Shelyn's Champions" to test my macros, set up their tokens etc. then I exported them back to my vault and tried to import them back to the "Tibaeria" game, and even though the vault interface says thevoperation was successful, but when I enter the "Tibaeria" game, the new versions of my characters aren't there, just the old ones. I changed the names on the old characters in "Tibaeria" to "old version" and tried again, but the new characters still don't appear in the journal.  What, if anything, am I doing wrong? I need to get my newly revised and repaired character sheets back into the Tibaeria game asap! I have a session on Saturday 9/23 and I need those characters in place by then.  HELP!!!!!
Just making sure, because I've done this myself before...  Do you have a LOT of handouts and folders?  When you import a character journal in, it appears at the very bottom at the root level usually.  It's easy to miss if you have a lot going on.

Edited 1506031340
Yeah, the Tibaeria game has a huge journal directory. But shouldn't they just go to the sub-directory "characters"? im just a player in this game and don't have any GM privileges, do I don't know.  I cant even manipulate any of the journal items. 
I did close up all the expanded directories, you know, the "+" signs that expand them all and could see the bottom, but no characters. 

Edited 1506034900
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
My speculation would be that it works based on the unique ID of the character.  Try duplicating one of the characters currently in the Tibaeria game and then delete the original.  Then do the import of that character.  If it works, that probably means you can't export a newer version of the same character to the game because the game already contains that character (because it has one with the same unique ID).
Even with a name change?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yeah, the Character's Unique ID would persist after a rename.
Would it be something simple like the GM has not yet given you permissions for your newly imported characters?
No, I had him activate the feature. It worked fine initially, but stopped when I tried to import the revised characters. 
The Aaron said: Yeah, the Character's Unique ID would persist after a rename. So would it be worth trying to construct an all new character sheet entry with the newly revised character data and try to import that? It would be an all new character from the ground up with hopefully a new ID. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Since you're not GM in this game, you might want to duplicate the character in your personal game and add the duplicate to the vault and export it to the game you're playing in.
i just did all that, and the export went through. now all the macros i made on tab three "Attributes and Abilities", entering the character values into the left hand entries and using those as the variable tags in the macros dont work anymore! Aaaaagh! I'm so damned frustrated. in my game environment theyre fine. They were even fine before all this. Now it acts like it cant find the values I've set! Would u be willing to look over what I'm doing from the inside? Maybe I'm just being really dumb.
Heres my saves macro] Made to select relevant save as needed. I have three entries in the A&A tab called FORT, REF, and WILL with those values inserted in the space for each. In my game environment, it works just fine, but there it errors with "cannot find %Mazzie|REF" and all I can say is WTF. The numbers are there even, the tags for each are there too, but its like the connection between the two is broken. &{template:default} {{name=?{save?|Fortitude, Mazzie grits her teeth against the pain|Reflex, Mazzie dodges out of the way|Will, Mazzie trembles and clutches her head} }} {{?{Which macro |F, Fortitude =[[d20+@{Mazzie|Fort}]] |R, Reflex =[[d20+@{Mazzie|Ref}]] |W, Will =[[d20+@{Mazzie|Will}]] } }}
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Vaulting in the character creates a duplicate of the character in the new game, so referencing the character name returns multiple results, this can cause issues when calling attributes/abilities (especially with abilities). also, a slight critique of your macro example. As you are doing this in a character ability, you don't need to use the character name to specify what attribute to use, so you can replace @{Mazzie|Fort} with just @{Fort} as an example. Also, has your GM given you editing permission to your new versions of the characters? From your previous posts I wasn't sure if they had. The newly vaulted in character is not controllable by you until the GM gives you control (due to the fact that your unique id is different for each game).

Edited 1506230424
Yes, it created a duplicate entry under my characters folder in the Journal tab, but i went to the old ones and changed their filenames to "old version" to make it ignore them. The new instances I imported from the vault were simply updated copies of the same file. I doubt they have a different ID Ive had control of editing the files from the beginning. He literally copies a defunct character sheet for another character into our charaters folder and we edit our info into it. its worked fine for months, maybe years.Everyone's characters are like that and it hasnt been a problem. Your statement that "replace @{Mazzie|Fort} with just @{Fort}" doesnt seem like it will work, since I'm not actually using the "character sheet" on tab two of the file, but tab three "Attributes and Abilities" on tab three. Ive just gone down the left hand entries on that tab and renamed each label with simple tags like "LEVEL", "STR", "FORT", etc. and then entered the numeric value for each tag in the space in the first column to the right named "Current" at the top.of the coliumn. Ive also made sure that the corresponding token pic on tab one of the file, dragged into the tablespace is named the same as the character file in its corresponding details popup. Then, when I highlight that token, the macros I created on Tab three of the character file, on the right side, checkmarked as "token buttons" appear at the top of the tablespace. Pressing one of those buttons, which would normally activate the macro "Skull-Ram Attack", written like so "&{template:default} {{name=Mazzie Slams her Skull Ram into @{target|Token_Name} with deadly force!}} {{Orc Skull Ram:=[[d20+@{Mazzie|STR}+@{Mazzie|BAB}+@{Mazzie|PRIWEAP}+?{temp modifier|0}]]}}{{Damage:=[[d10+@{Mazzie|STR}]] Blunt}}{{Special:= Free Bull Rush on Confirmed Critical [[d20+@{Mazzie|CMD}]]l}}" , now outputs this message in the chat: No attribute was found for @{Mazzie|STR}No attribute was found for @{Mazzie|BAB}No attribute was found for @{Mazzie|PRIWEAP}No attribute was found for @{Mazzie|STR}No attribute was found for @{Mazzie|CMD} Nothing has changed in this game environment, and Im certain I have all the necessary permissions I need for this to work properly. It works perfectly well in my own gamespace as I said before, and there shouldnt be any difference between the two. I'm getting really frustrated here. I have a game tomorrow afternoon with this character and I need this to work!