Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help] It's a Trap, path trigger

Edited 1506092979
Hey I'm setting up ambush traps for stealthed monsters. Initially my stealthed monster was popping as a trap when walked on, showing the attack and damage rolls, but now, when you enter the path radius (just a red circle on the GM layer) it only pops the info message "You bumbled into a hidden goblin". I've still got the damage and to-hit enabled but they just don't work now? I'm thinking I must've added the path trigger wrong. I'd already created the trap, then I drew a circle, selected both the circle and the goblin and hit the trap macro button again, then I entered paths and it shows two token id's (I assume the goblin and the circle) EDIT: Just played around a bit more and added a blast radius and it's working. Is this the correct way of doing things or just a workaround? EDIT2: Detection isn't working within the search radius now. changed the spot DC to 5 and still nothing against the level 15 rogue? using 5e OGL sheets.

Edited 1506094440
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Activating a trap's trigger path will activate the trap, but it will only affect tokens overlapping the trap's token or in its token's blast radius. When creating a path trigger for a trap, you don't need to select the trap's token. @EDIT: Yes, the blast distance is currently the correct way to handle this. @EDIT2: Passive searching is working fine in the test lab. Could you provide the GM notes for your trap to help debug this?

Edited 1506126044
{"type":"monster","revealWhenSpotted":true,"spotDC":5,"revealLayer":"objects","message":"You bumble into a hidden goblin","damage":"1d6+3","attack":4,"stopAt":"edge","triggerPaths":["-Kue0MFPA_2mp7XlJSfC","-Kue3wEPZipK3wXtgdGP"]} Gonna recreate a fresh 'trap' and try to only select the path instead of the trap token as well incase that's the error. Edit: Fresh trap is working properly, hoping it was having itself as a path?

Edited 1506253718
Hey Stephen, wondering about some potential functionality. If all the info is stored within the token, can I create a character sheet, assign a trap I built as the default token, and drag 'n' drop premade traps using that technique? I'm not sure how much is meant to be unique per trap other than path id (the one problem I could see arising is with the path triggers, I'd need to make a new radius drawing and assign it's ID, unless roll20 is creating a new token and passing in it's ID automatically?) Edit: Looks like this works great. I'd like to request a feature if that's okay. I understand and love that paths can be used to create a complex trigger area, however upon discovering this delicious shortcut of storing traps as default tokens, I'm wondering if you could either create a new and third aura for activation radius (are more than 2 supported?) OR add functionality that allows the trap to be sprung when someone enters it's blast radius (I'm using it as a weapon reach aura for ambushes) This would streamline so much for me, and I could see it being useful across the board for creating simple traps where the graphic of the token is smaller than the intended trigger area but doesn't require a unique shape.
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The VTT only has 2 auras for tokens. That's a good suggestion for a feature though, so I'll put it on the roadmap.
Thanks!