Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Account sharing

Edited 1506350301
Me and two other people have been gaming together on roll20 for a while now and want to start buying the 5th ed MM and modules but want to share them with each other. Is there any policy that forbids people from sharing an account like this. The policy just sort of implies no hacking or stealing and isnt really clear on sharing. We mostly want to do it because 3 of us DM and dont want to have to buy all the content 3 times or go through the trouble of dropping tons of tokens on a map and switching DM permissions over and over again. If we were local to each other we would just loan out the books but that doesnt really work since we are spread out all over the place. I have seen a few post like this that have been dead and never answered so there is obviously an interest for people to do this and I would like an official answer if possible because I would hate to spend 50-100 dollars on content just to get banned when I keep logging in from different countries. 
Victor, Sharing your account, or material, is a violation of Use of Roll20 ; a section of the Play Nice Clauses . (Parenthesis mine) Use or attempt to gain access to or use another’s user or company account, password, data, or computer systems or networks connected to any Roll20 server, whether through hacking, password mining or any other means. (No sharing your account) Make available any files containing materials where you do not own or control, or have not received the necessary licenses to, all intellectual property rights, rights of privacy and publicity and all other rights in and to such materials. (No sharing files. While this could be disputed, due to "ownership", the above bullet point renders the argument moot.)
Bryan P. said: Use or attempt to gain access to or use another’s user or company account, password, data, or computer systems or networks connected to any Roll20 server, whether through hacking, password mining or any other means. To me that reads,  Use or attempt to gain access without permission
Kyle, No doubt that it is open to interpretation, especially considering the intentional absence of legalese. The section Who can see my password? also lends credence to your interpretation as it explicitly states unauthorized access. That being said I'd argue that "any other means" qualifies as sharing your account; intent versus letter. Moving on from this point, what is your interpretation of the later part in regards to sharing content? It certainly IS similar to sharing a book around a table.
In short, particularly in areas related to the purchasing of licensed content, our  Terms of Service and Privacy Policy gives the answers for these questions. Content purchased is meant for the account owner's use; any other uses are at your own risk.