Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Just ran my first Roll20 Sesh and have a question

Hollow
Pro
Marketplace Creator
So every one of my 6 players joined the game come game time but half of them were unable to join the game with cam and\or mic for either one reason or another. Now I know that their may be too many reasons for this to happen, more than I can even mention. But the funny thing is I just sent all my players a discord link and we picked up the game with ZERO issues from that point on......without video though So my question is this. How long has Roll20 been broken like this and why has it not been fixed to the point where game masters don't have to have a backup service in place for when OF COURSE Roll20 fails to link up everyones webcams. I just dont understand why this is a problem. Does fantasy grounds have the same issues? I can't help but to wonder. I really dig the Roll20 service though when it works and I feel like I gained a DM level for running my first cyber tabletop sesh but I can't help to wonder how I can improve the player experience without losing your hair trying to troubleshoot 6 cams and 6 microphones the first 30 minutes of every session. Is there an end all be all solution that really works without all the bullshit? Was this just a Roll20 performance hiccup or has it always been this way? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. thx
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is a known issue and this thread is all about it:  WebRTC Video and Voice Chat Issues
You can either get histrionic about an issue which has been plaguing roll20 for years, pile on the other thousand odd posts of frustration, wail and nash teeth etc etc. Or just use Discord for voice and video and enjoy the 95% of roll20 that works perfectly. ITS UP TO YOU BUDDY.
Hollow
Pro
Marketplace Creator
"Known Issue" So in other words it's "known" not to work?
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The Hollow said: . Does fantasy grounds have the same issues? I can't help but to wonder.  Also, Fantasy Grounds does not offer either built in voice or video.
Hollow
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I like and appreciate Roll20 for all they do. I don't wanna sound like I'm just another newb complaining about a known issue but I am willing to help with ideas. For instance: Why not take a small cut of DM pay to play income and hire a a team of software consultants that can get the job done. Has this not been a known issue for years now? Not complaining, I just wanna know what I can do to help.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The Pay to play aspect is not part of roll20 which is why there is a disclaimer that all games of that type must display. The developers team has doubled in size in the last few months also so it is going to take a little bit of time to get up to speed on the code then there is all the planning of what features will be affected when the code is altered. Until the audio/video problems are resolved for the devs recommend using a third party software for your needs (it is stated clearly in the thread I provided a link to).
The Hollow said: I like and appreciate Roll20 for all they do. I don't wanna sound like I'm just another newb complaining about a known issue but I am willing to help with ideas. For instance: Why not take a small cut of DM pay to play income and hire a a team of software consultants that can get the job done. Has this not been a known issue for years now? Not complaining, I just wanna know what I can do to help. To piggy-back off of Pat's response... Since January we've been working on internal solutions (as well as meeting with outside consultants). The essence of the issue is a peer-to-peer failure that our servers have trouble detecting.  I'm hopeful that we'll have some solutions for our internal voice and video before the year is out, but whether or not that occurs, we encourage utilizing a voice-and-video specific application in conjunction with Roll20.
Hollow
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Very interesting. Thanks for the info guys.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Nolan. That was a very concise statement of the issue.