Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Shaped] attacher roll using spell level

Edited 1508035083
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm playing a Wild Magic sorcerer, and we've instituted a house rule to increase the possibility of a Wild Magic Surge. The chance is (spell level cast +1) or less on a d20. Currently I have a different attacher for each spell level rolling [[1d20<3]] for a second level spell, for example. This returns a 0 for no WMS, or a 1 for a WMS. I'd like to have just one attacher for all spells, for elegance's sake. Is there a way to put in the level of the spell just cast rather than the constant?
After fiddling about with attributes I think  this will work [[1d20<[[@{spell_level}]] ]]. Also, I've recently started playing a WM sorcerer and we too have introduced a house rule to increase the possibility of a WMS (rolling a 1 on a d100 also causes a WMS when casting a cantrip) but more wild magic is always a good thing so would you mind if I stole (probably a variant of) your house rule for my game?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'll send the RPG police to your house! Of course. In fact, if you playtest a better method, let me know. This is our first time trying out a WM sorcerer. I'll try your suggestion.
You could try a roll quarry, something like this may work: [[?{Spell Level?| 1, d20<2 |2, d20<3 |3, d20<4 |4, d20<5 |5, d20<6 |6, d20<7 |7, d20<8 |8, d20<9 |9, d20<10} ]]
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No dice. No attribute was found for @{Tom Robbenhelm|spell_level}
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yggdrasil said: You could try a roll quarry, something like this may work: [[?{Spell Level?| 1, d20<2 |2, d20<3 |3, d20<4 |4, d20<5 |5, d20<6 |6, d20<7 |7, d20<8 |8, d20<9 |9, d20<10} ]] That approach would probably work. I'm just looking for something automatic.
keithcurtis said: No dice. No attribute was found for @{Tom Robbenhelm|spell_level} It's part of a repeating row so if you use in the row, e.g. in the spell description you'll only need @{spell_level} as it knows which character and row (i.e. spell) to take the attribute from. If you're doing it outside the character sheet, like in chat, you'll need something like @{Tom Robbenhelm|repeating_spell1_$0_spell_level} or @{Tom Robbenhelm|repeating_spell1_<rowid>_spell_level} if you know the row ID. This should output something like 1ST LEVEL but if you inline roll that by putting the [[ ]] around it it only outputs the number at the front which you can then use for comparisons like you did before. keithcurtis said: Of course. In fact, if you playtest a better method, let me know. This is our first time trying out a WM sorcerer. I'll try your suggestion. I'm a little worried of the ever present fireball and TPK the party so I may do a slightly toned down version something like half the level of the spell rounded up. That way we can have a few levels and hp before I inevitably hit myself with a fireball haha.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you played it straight by the rules, you have a 5% chance for a WMS, and a 2% chance for a fireball after that. So roughly 1 in 1,000. Which by player dice is a virtual certainty.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kyle said:  It's part of a repeating row so if you use in the row, e.g. in the spell description you'll only need @{spell_level} as it knows which character and row (i.e. spell) to take the attribute from. If you're doing it outside the character sheet, like in chat, you'll need something like @{Tom Robbenhelm|repeating_spell1_$0_spell_level} or @{Tom Robbenhelm|repeating_spell1_<rowid>_spell_level} if you know the row ID. This should output something like 1ST LEVEL but if you inline roll that by putting the [[ ]] around it it only outputs the number at the front which you can then use for comparisons like you did before. Not sure that would work in an attacher. That sounds like it would reference a particular spell, not any "last spell cast". The attacher triggers any time you cast a spell. You can constrain it per level, but that would require a separate attacher for each level. Which is what I'm doing now.
Ahhh sorry I forgot about that key part of your original question, in that case then I don't think it's possible to do it as an attacher especially given how the shaped sheet is designed. My only further recommendation is to replace your [[1d20<3]] for a second level, say, with [[1d20<[[@{Tom Robbenhelm|higher_level_query_2}+1]] ]] as this means if you cast at a higher level the wild surge chance increases to the chance of the spell slot used rather than the base spell level.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ooh, good suggestion. I'll give it a shot.