Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Creating a character sheet from scratch, need help!

Hey there, so i recently got the genious idea to make my own RPG system...its going quite well i think. Anyways i tried to make it most easy to play online on roll20. The problem is that creating a completely new character sheet is pretty hard with my HTML experience, which is none :) I would love any help with making a roll20 sheet with some basic functionality, like rolling damage automatically. If you have any suggestions how i could make this sheet that would be awsome! The sheet how i think it could look, its very basic still
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Have you taken a look at the  wiki for building your own character sheet? It has a lot of information about doing so, though it may be too much if you've never worked with HTML/CSS before. It's probably also helpful to find a character sheet you like (one of the simpler ones, not a complicated beast like 5E OGL/Shaped or Pathfinder...) and hack it until it fits your system, learning along the way. Take a look at the roll20-character-sheets  Github , where the code for all sheets live on Roll20 can be found.
Yeah i looked at the wiki, but it is a bit complicated to get started. Do you have some basics? I for now want to just have the fields with a set text and the writeable field under it. Do you have a very basic sheet i could look at?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Is there a reason you can't just use the Abilities & Attributes tab? :)
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
GenKitty said: Is there a reason you can't just use the Abilities & Attributes tab? :) The attributes and abilties tab is okay for numbers, but for content that properly belongs in a textarea or long lists of e.g. items, it doesn't work well at all.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Chosenlama said: Yeah i looked at the wiki, but it is a bit complicated to get started. Do you have some basics? I for now want to just have the fields with a set text and the writeable field under it. Do you have a very basic sheet i could look at? Maybe the Dogs in the Vineyard sheet. it doesn't have quite the same tabular approach to layout that your sample link has, but it's pretty simple as far as sheets go...
Yeah, the Dogs sheet does seem alright to play around with. Thanks!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you are looking at just text fields and such for now. Take a look at the obsolete  Basic Fantasy sheet . It was created prior to sheetworkers and all the newer coding techniques that are in play now.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think its probably a bad idea to design a character sheet for your game, if the game is still under development. There was a time in roll20's history where we didnt have character sheets, and made do with the Attributes and Abilities tab. It's good enough. You are far better off sticking to using those while developing your system, rather than having to spend time designing your character sheet then redesigning it and editing it as the system progresses. It will distract you from more important things.

Edited 1508360105
G G, that is certainly true. Im just trying to get a basic fundament down, like roll templates on a button press. As this is also my first dabbling in designing a whole system so im kind of all over the place :)