Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Ability to see player view

As a DM, I _love_ the dynamic lighting features that allow me to control what my players can see.  However, sometimes I've found that not being able to see exactly what they see is a bit of a challenge. I'd like to see a feature where I can switch views between each player on a map to that I can understand what my players can and cannot see.
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can currently do so. If you are in the game and you go to the settings tab down at the bottom is a button that says 'Rejoin as player'. I use it regularly but a warning: I suggest assigning a token to yourself before you do so. When you rejoin as player you will operate exactly as a player can (other than being able to rejoin as a GM). - Gauss
Another thing you can do is press Ctrl+L (or Cmd+L on Mac) while you have their token selected. If you do that you will see only the light for the highlighted token. Useful for checking line of sight, etc.
@Riley: I think that handy little tip will help a lot, but, might not be everything I'm after. One point of clarification... will that command show only the light generated by the selected token?  Or will it show all light that is visible to that token, including light generated by other tokens? I suspect it is the former.  So, while it will be very useful for determining line of sight, it still doesn't quite get down to the level of being able to see the game board in the same way a player does.   Even Gauss' suggestion wouldn't quite do it because it would allow me to see the board as a player assigned to my control... I want a way to actually see what my individual characters are seeing. Does my distinction make sense?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Caleb, what you could do is to give yourself control over all of the tokens. Tokens support multiple users in control. :) - Gauss
Forgive me if I'm being dense, but, how does that help me see what one particular player/token can see?
Forge it will show just the light cast by that token. I don't think there is a way to do exactly what you're asking but as Riley has already taken a look in here he probably has some ideas kicking around on how to solve the problem.
You can just assign yourself control of all tokens of the player you want to test the lighting for and only those tokens. You don't need to assign tokens for yourself as GM. so assigning tokens is jsut to test things like lighting and permissions for players. After you  have the same permissions, THEN you rejoin as player and test it out.
You don't need to rejoin as a player though. Just go into the page options and bump the opacity of dynamic lighting up to 90-100%.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Forge:  1: Assign control of a single token to yourself (note: you do not need to remove control from the player, just add yourself). 2: Switch to player mode.  3: Now you can see whatever that token can see.  - Gauss
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jonathan, that works for testing what the players can see as a whole but it doesn't work for testing what an individual player can see.  Unfortunately, Ctrl+L only checks the light source that is on that particular token. It does not tell you what that token can 'see'.  Switching to player mode while controlling a particular player's token is still the only way to reliably test what that token will see.  - Gauss
I have been trying to access the view as player option from my game (both via google plus and the website) and it is no longer an option.   Anyone else have this issue?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hmmm, I still have it on mine. I suggest posting it in the bug forum and we will troubleshoot it. :) - Gauss
Gid
Roll20 Team
Michael, the button is labeled, "Re-Join as Player" and it *should* be located under My Settings on the Sidebar. It is the very last item on the tab. Is it missing?
It is missing from mine, yes.  Last option at the bottom is use WebRTC for Voice/Video.    I am right now a free DM.    Would that have any bearing?
Gid
Roll20 Team
No, that's a feature available across all accounts. Michael, is your browser (not Roll20) using a zoom other than 100%. Sometimes elements get pushed off the view space when the browser zoom is set to something other than the default.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Ah. Gauss is informing me that if you're in a Google Hangout, the button is absent. Are you running the game in a hangout, Michael? We'll let the Devs know that button is missing.
I have a similar issue running in hangout. Thanks!