Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A Question of Curiosity

So I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I just want to start it off by saying that I've never played a D&D or anything of the sort before. But I have seen it played before, and I've seen NPCs be convinced to help the adventuring party out in a fight. I was wondering... Has anyone ever convinced an NPC to stick with the for an entire campaign, basically becoming another member of the party? Or are such things usually... Frowned upon? :o I can see it being kinda neat if a player persuades someone to fight with them, and then after the battle succeeds in persuading them to come with them. That NPCs character sheet is then handed to the player who convinced them and they now control two characters? I bet that would be harder than I think it would be, but it was just a scenario I thought of and was wondering if anyone had seen it happen :o
I believe this forum is used for questions relating to the systems used by the site/application and that question is best asked of your DM on a game forum as it will mainly be up to them as to whether or not that is something that is allowed in their game. As for whether or not it has ever happened, most probably, though I can not think of a specific instance myself.
The popularity of the D&D systems stems from how flexible they are.  I have been in, and run, games where this has happened.  More often, it partially happens, in that NPCs usually still have some secrets that are not revealed, even when players get a character sheet for the NPC.  It is more likely in small games, where having a semi-PC does not slow down play or make it too complex.  It depends on your GM and the particular game/campaign, but is certainly possible.
Peter W. said: So I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I just want to start it off by saying that I've never played a D&D or anything of the sort before. But I have seen it played before, and I've seen NPCs be convinced to help the adventuring party out in a fight. I was wondering... Has anyone ever convinced an NPC to stick with the for an entire campaign, basically becoming another member of the party? Or are such things usually... Frowned upon? :o I can see it being kinda neat if a player persuades someone to fight with them, and then after the battle succeeds in persuading them to come with them. That NPCs character sheet is then handed to the player who convinced them and they now control two characters? I bet that would be harder than I think it would be, but it was just a scenario I thought of and was wondering if anyone had seen it happen :o In my game the party has a NPC that will be adventuring with them until the end of the adventure. She is a cleric and is a key character in the end of the adventure. She takes XP and some treasure for her services and the party is ok with this.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This is consider off-topic for the roll20 forum and will be closed. From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext /r/ADND /r/Pathfinder_RPG /r/gamemasters