Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A player review system for pay to play GMs

I don't use the pay to play system, however, it seems a bit risky for a user to do so at this time.  There are some people that put out a free session, but I feel if I were to pay for a service (GMing a game) I'd like to know I wasn't getting a bad service from the start before wasting my money.  I think if you are asking people to pay for your game then you also need to open yourself up to being reviewed as well.  Perhaps a classic 5 star system with comments.  And easily accessed next to their names.     Example:  Dungeon Master Epicbrainguy  always puts on a great session, always fair, keeps the story moving, is open to creative ways to deal with an encounter, makes RP fun!  I recommend if you get a chance play a game with him!  ***** 5 stars! Verses:   Dungeon Master moneybagshaha,  doesn't really know how to run a game.  I feel a bit scammed.  Continually was late to game and barely had any content when we did run.  Seemed fine at first but a couple sessions in you could tell he didn't know what he was doing.  1 star. 
I think they should just get rid of all together cause an intelligent dm should be earning their money from content generation, not running games.
Hollow
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Review system? Whats gonna keep some player who died last game and is all but hurt about it from trying an ruin a DM's rep?
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
To my knowledge, Roll20 does not endorse Pay-to-Play DM/GM's, but neither do they prohibit them either.  Additionally, any sort of rating system is easily made irrelevant through making fake accounts to bolster your own ratings, or by trolls looking to cause mischief.
The Hollow said: Review system? Whats gonna keep some player who died last game and is all but hurt about it from trying an ruin a DM's rep? Valid points for sure, if we look at yelp, amazon,  any other rating system there are people of course who abuse it.   However, the good businesses will usually have a rating of 4.5 or 4.7 because they sell and deliver what the customer wants.  Over time if the DM is good their ratings will be good.  They could even respond to the critic explaining the situation.  On the other hand, it's going to show the bad DMs just looking to make a quick buck off the system.  Yes, they could just make a new account etc, but the good DMs will have a long list of recommendations and when spots open up in their games people will want to join.  I still feel if you're asking someone to pay for a product in this case a service the consumer should know before hand what they're paying for.  B Simon Smith said: To my knowledge, Roll20 does not endorse Pay-to-Play DM/GM's, but neither do they prohibit them either.  They may not endorse it but here it is and they added a button to show that it is Pay-to-Play.   They can let it go and develop on it's own or get rid of it or mold it into something they'd rather represent Roll20.    
If it's implemented in such a way that eliminates negativity and only promotes something positive like a "high five" then yes, it would be a good idea. You could quickly look at a GM's profile and see "This GM has received 10 high fives".  To me, that's the only way it could be successful. You making money doing what you love shouldn't hinge on some whiny brat writing a scathing review about you all because you wouldn't let them power game.  And people should realize that businesses pay Yelp extra to have good reviews pushed to the top and for negative reviews to be removed. Same with Amazon, IMDB, rotten tomatoes, etc, etc, etc. If roll20 implemented an Amazon or Yelp like review system, I'd never use roll20 again. 
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Rhyn H. said: I think they should just get rid of all together cause an intelligent dm should be earning their money from content generation, not running games. Not all GMs are artists. In fact, many aren't.
Until we find a way to implement such a system without it being gamed (via either negative harassment or artificial promotion), we have no plans to develop such a feature. As such, this thread will be closed and your votes refunded.