Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ways you use API/Macros in your game

(I am applying this to Pathfinder and D&D 5E mostly but any system ideas are cool) I am an API user and not at ALL computer programmer savvy.  I can barely install the scripts and just learning the syntax of the commands to use the scripts is tough for me.  So I see I have all this power at my fingertips and not enough knowledge to use it.  I tend to see what others do and then steal it and try to put it into my game. I am interested in people sharing WHAT and HOW they use as far as scripts and macros in their campaigns and why.  I have noticed that many people have many different things they are doing and I could learn from a bunch of those.  I suspect that many others are in my situation, we would love to use the stuff but we don't really even know where to begin.  What are your favorite scripts and macros?  Why?  How do they help your game?  Which ones are a MUST HAVE?  Are there scripts you use that are NOT listed in the one-click?  Would you like to share what they are?
At work at the moment so do not have access to any of my games. I use Token Mod and Torch probably the most. Then there are about sixteen or other "support scripts" that I use. Things that put up a "Message of the Day," and changes the text on a page, another gives the ability to control sound files from macros, special effects on a page. Then there is Table Export (or is it Import?) and Recursive Table. A much easier way to build tables than typing each line entry in one at a time. And Recursive Table (RT) allows you to display random numbers/values on the screen without being in a yellow box.  And though it wasn't written for the game system I use; I use Alter Bars quite a bit. How do they help? They change multi-step processes into a "single click" on a macro (or typing a simple command into the chat window); be it in the bottom bar or a token macro. It makes changing status markers, sight, hit points, etc, all that much faster and more efficient. It adds another dimension to the game when you have a macro written  for someone to strike with a sword and there is a clanging sound, or the sound of arrows being shot. Rather than going to the Jukebox screen and scrolling for a sound effect it is right at your literal fingertips. For example my game last Tuesday was pretty much a fight between the six man party and the bandits they tracked to their lair. With the hit points and armor class and such set on the tokens; it speeded up the fight (and added a written record in the chat window) as I had to control and do actions for two dozen or so NPCs. Some of the "bandits" had darkvision so were targeting party members with lights. In a nutshell it automates simple and repetitive actions and allowed the players more time to interact with and enjoy the game. They most definitely help a GM in running a smoother game and in game preparation. Once you know what macros you use across your games you can write a script to create the macros for you. I learned most if not all of this by reading the forums, asking questions, and tinkering endlessly with scripts and macros. There may not be an exact copy of what you are looking for in the forums, but there is a good chance there is something close. One note of caution: some scripts just don't play well with others. You might need to turn some of them off and on when you need them.
lets see i use the following scripts with a why and use case like above i use 1. Recursive Table which allows me to randomly roll treasure drops also use it to randomly generate an arrow abilities for my ranger and the wild magic table for my sorcerer. it has saved me alot of work there. 2.Table Export allows for an easy way for me to format and share my roll tables with others and to import what they use. again saves me alot of work. 3. i use the 5E companion script for spell tracking and ammo tracking 4. i use easy experience for managing xp awards to my pc's again makes my life easier. 5. torch (immersion tool for my non dark vision players. makes the light source flicker 6.roll listener it will listen for things like weapon description or spell cards with a roll in them and roll them for me. again makes life easier for me 7.pagefx and 8.stausfx immersion most of these are on the one click install library and most are by The Aaron i like you had little programing skills and knowledge that man helped me learn the most. my next adventure is PowerCards and maybe Jukebox control via macros. i find it was a pick one and move on approach each one will help you learn bits at a time i suggest #4 first > then  #3>1> 2>5>6>7>8 if your using another system or sheet use the companion script for it in place of #3
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I've got a couple go to scripts, some of which have been mentioned or alluded to and in purely stream of consciousness order: My Page Navigator Script: Once you have about 20 pages or so of content for your game, moving players around is a pain in the butt. Page Navigator lets me move players (including splitting the party) via chat command, or by them simply moving their token into a designated transition area. It handles the creation, and syncing of their tokens on the new page (if there is a place for them to be made). The chat command portion of Page Navigator is pretty simple (admittedly, I may be biased since I programmed it), but I would recommend saving the token creation/transition zone functionality till you have gotten more comfortable with API in general and the script specifically. I won't be using it in my new campaign as we are going to be using checkpoint leveling, but I very much like my EasyExperience script for easily tracking xp awards. The Jukebox controls native to Roll20 just don't allow enough fine control over what sounds are playing, so I really like my Roll20AM script to be able to overlay sounds, integrate sound control into macros, and allow a player(s) to be your game's DJ instead of needing to handle that yourself. As mentioned by mage and Erich, Aaron's TableExport (also does import) and Recursive Tables are god sends for handling just about any sort of dX table, whether it's loot tables, random encounter tables, magic shop stock tables, or magic item creation tables. If it needs a roll on a table and then additional rolls (either table or regular inline), recursive tables is your answer. For Pathfinder, the Pathfinder Companion Script should make a lot of the minutiae of playing pathfinder much more streamlined. From monster statblock import to effect application; the script helps with it all. I've written a pretty detailed help document for this script that you can find through the script's thread. Aaron's torch script is also essential for getting the most out of your DL experience. I haven't played around with the advanced fog of war yet, so I'm not sure how that will interact with Torch. I have sporadically used TokenMod, but most of what I would use it, or chatSetAttribute, for has been handled by the above scripts (Torch and PFC especially) Traps are one of those things that can really make the tension in a dungeon skyrocket, but a lot of times it's hard to remember what 5-ft square triggers them and your players can wind up moving past the trap and then having to be moved back. It's a Trap resolves a lot of these issues and takes the tedium out of handling traps in play. I know you asked for specifics on how to use any recommendations, but I second lordmage's recommendation of just building your script library one at a time as you get comfortable with each one. Mine and Aaron's scripts (and most other scripters') contributions have help menus and (hopefully) reasonably detailed help details in their associated threads. If you have any questions on how to do something, feel free to ask.