Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

making token action assigned macros display token name

Hey. The thing is such: I have a lot of characters, and I have abilities assigned to them. When my players controll multiple characters, they are able to select their token representations (all abilities are allowed as token actions) and via clicking the macro button, the chat will display the correct character name. Say if a player has characters "Bob" and "James", Bob having the ability "dig" as token action, and James having the ability "climb" as token action, the player is able to click Bobs representative token, and press the macro button, which will make the chat display "Bob used his shovel to dig for a bit" ( the macro form is: /em used his shovel to dig for a bit). Then they are able to do the same with James' climb and the chat displays "James climbed for a bit" (/em climbed for a bit). However, when I try doing that, the chat displays "GM used his shovel for a bit" or "GM climbed for a bit". They are not selecting their characters in the As: selection under the chat, nor am I. Why does it work for my players and not me?
as far as i am aware the /em is based on the who talking via the drop down in chat... i think the code might need to use something like @selected|Characterid or something not a codewarrior wait long enough and one will be by.  
The DM has access to the /emas emote that you can follow with @{selected|token_name}  which will display the name of that token.
thanks, will try
Ed S. said: The DM has access to the /emas emote that you can follow with @{selected|token_name}  which will display the name of that token. this works perfectly! thank you!
Just want to point out that only the DM can use /emas, your players cannot and will get an error if they attempt to do so. However, with your PRO subscription you have access to the API. There is a script EMAS that will be able to handle what you are after.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you are using the Shaped Sheet, there is an option to display the character name with the built in abilities.