Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Players cannot use search function in game

Good morning, Hopefully I'm not wasting anybodys time here, but I was wondering why my players could not see or use the "search" function within our games. Is it due to my settings, or simply that the feature is only included for GMs? I planned on allowing them to search for certain rules, and / or characters that they already met in the game. Any advice welcome! Lh
So just to clarify by search function, are you meaning the compendium or the journal. If you are meaning the compendium, the compendium is accessible by all players if the game's creator has it set up in the Game Settings outside the VTT. If you were able to access the compendium, maybe your players simply were not looking in the right tab in the chat window. If you mean the journal, players cannot see entries in the journal unless the GM gives them access to the entry. You can also shorthand know if a player can see a journal entry if there is a colored dot to the right of the entry. If there is no dot there, the entry is not shared with a player and therefore invisible to everyone but the GM.
We're using a rather unknown source called "The Dark Eye" (Das Schwarze Auge). As for compendium access: I picked "Determined By Character Sheet" As I doubt there is no compendium avaliable (as the source program of The Dark Eye is also still flawed here and there), I want my players to be able to search for tags, e.g. if the Cleric wants to cast a healing prayer, I want the player to be able to search for "Healing Prayer" and find a description of what the rules say. I checked a few videos of roll20 DnD streams, as far as I have checked there is no compendium avaliable for the system we use, sadly.

Edited 1510949960
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, Nick L. Currently, there are only Roll20 Compendiums available for D&D 5E, Pathfinder and Dungeon World.
Hey there! Yeah I guessed so, Im gonna create handmade playerbooks for each one with a shortened ruleset. Thanks for all the quick responses!