Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for a door script, to manipulate dynamic lighting layer via object layer

I've done some cursory searching and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. It seems there are already two great mods out there for controlling doors. There's  Matt's Door Control for Players which is expansive and awesome, but way more complicated than I'm seeking and does not fit my group's play style. There is also  CommandDoors which would actually be pretty great, except from what I'm seeing/reading it appears that you need to set up open and close graphics for each door. I do not want to do this. I want the door graphic to remain the same, I just want a way to swap the dynamic lighting without having to go to that layer each time a player opens or closes a door. Basically, I'd love to have a script like Bump, but for dynamic lighting lines. That'd be perfect. Cheers ahead of time, sorry if this is the wrong place or a dumb question.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
This is the right place to post that, and it sound like a great idea!  So the basic rundown of the functionality would be: A line on the DL layer Invisible objects on the GM and Object layer Background auras only the GM can see Color state to show if it's open or closed Commands to open (move line to GM layer or remove it) Commands to close (move line back to DL layer or redraw it) Would you ever want to be able to give players control of a door?

Edited 1511124056
Would you ever want to be able to give players control of a door? I'm not opposed to it, but it really doesn't need it for my own needs at the moment. For my group's playstyle, I have no issue with having to control all the doors, it's just the going to the DL layer each time (then switching back) is cumbersome. Being able to select an object and click a macro button, like I do for Bump, would be so incredibly convenient. I can totally see the appeal of having players be able to control doors though, it would add to the immersiveness (is that a word? Lol). My main issue with it is I try to keep things as simple as possible, and I could be wrong but it would seem like giving players control would make everything just a little bit more difficult to code and set up, no? Also it comes down to as DM, I prefer to remain in control. So then there might be doors I don't want them to be open versus ones I do want them to be able to open, yadda, yadda, and then at this point it just starts to become as complicated as that first script I linked to which just seems like more work than I'm willing to put in at the moment. Between all the other DM prep and making battle maps, I don't wanna get hung up on just setting up doors. Y'know?
I use Lucian's Dynamic Lighting Recorder script to attach a DL line to a door token.  Then, whenever I pull that token from my library, it has that line drawn on it that moves with the token.  I have a door token set up with a 4 square transparent padding, so that the door sits nicely on the grid, and when I rotate it, the DL line moves with it.  It's also nice for opening a door "just a crack," and PCs can actually see what they can see. EDIT:  Just to clarify, I have to rotate the doors myself, since I place them on the Map layer, although, I suppose I could move them up to the token layer, and give players control if I want them to be able to operate the doors themselves.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
That's a really cool idea. I'm going to have to give it a try in my games. Thanks for the info!