Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Make it so that popup windows from buttons do not appear in the center of the screen.

Edited 1511208523
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This seems like a minor thing, but it annoys me a lot and should be extremely easy for the devs to fix.  When you click a button on a character sheet, token action, or macro bar, if the macro asks a question a popup appears in the center of the VTT.  If you have a popped out character sheet, this popup always appears BEHIND your character sheet. Since for some reason characters sheets are limited to being fully in frame (and that would be another great improvement to allow us to park character sheets partially off to the side) it is impossible to click directly to the popup window. You have to click to the VTT, which gets all the character sheets to the back, then click the popup and supply the requested info. Then if yo want to do something else, go to your task bar to navigate back to the popped out character sheet, etc.    It is annoying as heck and could be much better.  The easiest fix would be to simply stop having them appear in the exact center of the VTT. Maybe pick a corner for them to appear in, or let the user pick a corner with the options tab, or remember where the use moved the last popup to, and put all new ones there, or really anything except in hte exact center of the VTT where it is always covered up by poped out character sheets.  Another good idea is if a macro is being called from a character sheet, the popup should appear over the character sheet, not the VTT. That way if you are making rolls from a character sheet, you don't have to keep navigating to the VTT to answer the popups and then navigate back to the character sheet.  A third thing is to allow character windows to be parked off to the side so that up to 90% of them is hidden beyond the boundaries of your monitor. That way, if a popup does appear in the center of your screen, or if something interesting is happening on the VTT, you can drag the character sheet to the side and see what is going on (or access the popup), and then drag it fully back in when you are ready to look at the character sheet again, without having to navigate to the character sheet from the task bar.  I can't imagine I am the only one bugged by this, I would have thought that the devs would be bugged by this and fixed it long ago. Of course it probably only bugs those of us playing on only one screen, and maybe the power users always play with two or three monitors. Still, I find the current behaviour very poor design and very hard to use. 
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Popups do not appear behind character sheets for me, but on top. This must actually be a bug in the app that appears for some people?
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
If the character sheet has been "popped out", so it is it's own window. You will often have the popped out character sheet open in front, and under it, the VTT.  then, with a chrome browser, when you push a button on the character sheet that opens a pop-up, the pop-up appears on the VTT, and since it appears in the center of the VTT, and you have a popped out character sheet open above it, the popup can't be seen. 
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Chris D. said: If the character sheet has been "popped out", so it is it's own window. You will often have the popped out character sheet open in front, and under it, the VTT.  then, with a chrome browser, when you push a button on the character sheet that opens a pop-up, the pop-up appears on the VTT, and since it appears in the center of the VTT, and you have a popped out character sheet open above it, the popup can't be seen.  Reading comprehension on my side, sorry. Yes, of course. I never use popped-out sheets since they are buggy in so many ways, but you are of course correct.
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Jakob said: I never use popped-out sheets since they are buggy in so many ways. But I think that some very minor upgrades could make them about 200% better.  You and I can only use a feature, decide we don't like it, and avoid it.  This is an issue that I am surprised that no developer has taken it upon himself to fix. It is just such an obvious and easily corrected annoyance. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .