The Zipper Merge [Prep] [Cutscene] [Background]

The Heart Factory is an unassuming slab of electrogalvanized steel, with several cable jacks and externally mounted heat sinks. It's attached to an uninterruptible power supply, and then to a wall outlet. A panel displays gauges and numbers on an LCD screen, like a car dashboard, but what it's indicating is unclear. "There's two plugs, A and B. Normally there's an induction hookup here, on A," Leo explains. "This is where I connect the chip in my head to the machine. There's probably ways to make it compatible with other brain-machine interfaces," he adds, glancing at Jason. "The way Pneuma and Otto were created, I plug myself into A, a robot brain into B, and the machine extracts data, does the processing, and dumps the results out immediately into a waiting body." "What we're going to do is called a Zipper merge. We read from both A and B into storage, remix, and remaster B - our physical Pneuma. What's in her head now becomes an offline copy, as will our virtual Pneuma. Their threads of memory will twine together, like a zipper, and hopefully mesh without a conflict." "Both Pneumas continue to exist in a sense - the machine simply reconciles both such that they can no longer distinguish each other as separate individuals. Their individual mental resources will have 100% overlap. Two people become one." "From her perspective, she takes some LSD and goes on an acid trip for a bit, then comes out of it with extra memories. How she reconciles those depends on her state of mind. The set and setting, I think they call it. That's why it's important to do this at a good time. Maybe she'll remember daydreaming on the way to the airport, or feel like she had an out-of-body experience. I don't know for sure." ---- There's probably not a reason to play through this during the session if all goes well and no other player/PC wants to be involved. However, I can imagine roles for Adam, Jason, or Charlotte (dive into the mental world being created by the machine, either to witness or to influence), and Harry (manually fix synaptic connections on a console at a higher speed than anyone else can manage, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNnyuNK5dv8) - especially if there's a problem with the procedure. If any players are interested in playing these or other roles, involve yourself with my blessing. :) This otherwise continues the "robot mysticism" narrative that's been going on since Father Freeman.
Doyce T.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm interested in this, and have an idea in/around this. It's not a huge thing, but there's probably at least a scene in it.
Jason would be interested in lending a hand.

Edited 1511224690
Mike
Pro
*** Dave H. said: Jason would be interested in lending a hand. Adam as a child is confused and worried about all this.  It might have something to do with being twelve-years-old and having an issue that deals heavily with metaphysics (insert your own TNG Measure of a Man quote here) that he doesn't understand but which he is still going to have strong feelings about (because Pneuma--both of them--is a friend) and is going to need someone to explain how putting two people together and getting one person who is both and neither of them at the same time is a favorable outcome (this may be important for later).
Mike said: Adam as a child is confused and worried about all this.  It might have something to do with being twelve-years-old and having an issue that deals heavily with metaphysics (insert your own TNG Measure of a Man quote here) that he doesn't understand but which he is still going to have strong feelings about This is why I thought having Adam witness the process firsthand would be interesting for the character. Rather than Leo defending what he's about to do, Adam could see and learn for himself. It seems well established that his powers can do this (he woke up Jason doing what I assume is a similar deal) and actually has experience being bi-located (and so has a perspective nobody else on the team does). is going to need someone to explain how putting two people together and getting one person who is both and neither of them at the same time is a favorable outcome (this may be important for later). Leo's answer to that question will be simple: "it's what they both asked me to do. If they didn't both consent to it, and understand what was involved, I wouldn't do it." Any further elaboration must come from one or both of the Pneumas (who I suspect would both answer the same way).
Just as a note, Jason has a few things he needs to talk with Leo and Pneuma about before the post-Rook fixing stuff gets underway, before this very cool stuff leaps to a fait accompli . [Some of it touches on one of the Love Letters for Jason, but it was stuff I was already thinking about last game session.]
*** Dave H. said: Just as a note, Jason has a few things he needs to talk with Leo and Pneuma about before the post-Rook fixing stuff gets underway, before this very cool stuff leaps to a fait accompli . [Some of it touches on one of the Love Letters for Jason, but it was stuff I was already thinking about last game session.] During the session is good, or if you want to get the ball rolling early, on forums is probably fine too?
Doyce T.
Pro
Sheet Author
Let's have it during the session, since it may cascade a bit off the love letters.
I'll just have to speculate then. J: "So you built a human-like robot shell for her.." L: "Yep." J: "And that machine can extract my imagination into a functioning AI...." L: "That's what it does." J: "My birthday is next week..." L: "God dammit, Jason, no." (All this teasing is really due to the fact that Jason's AI 79, on being booted up with full knowledge of him, his nemesis, and the Quill database, decided he had some kind of perverted intent)
(All this teasing is really due to the fact that Jason's AI 79, on being booted up with full knowledge of him, his nemesis, and the Quill database, decided he had some kind of perverted intent) The sad thing is, Jason never had that intent until AI 79 accused him of it. But now it's difficult  not  to think of.
*** Dave H. said: (All this teasing is really due to the fact that Jason's AI 79, on being booted up with full knowledge of him, his nemesis, and the Quill database, decided he had some kind of perverted intent) The sad thing is, Jason never had that intent until AI 79 accused him of it. But now it's difficult  not  to think of. On this general topic, Leo may be wary of letting Jason plug in, especially if he finds out about Li'lycia. "Maybe you're infected with something she left behind. Maybe you'd infect Pneuma too. Or you're just under too much strain. I want to trust you, so help me figure out a way to do that." On the other hand, the Heart Factory analyzing Jason's neural data in isolation might help troubleshoot those issues too...
On the other hand, the Heart Factory analyzing Jason's neural data in isolation might help troubleshoot those issues too... Oh, yes, I'm sure Jason wants still more technology riffling through his neurons. :-) Another ball in the air ...
Some of these balls will be landing soon. Plus, if Jason wants to bring up that point, Leo's counter-point is "at least you can be more sure Alycia hasn't back-doored my gear". Plus, he needs practice for interfacing with Jason's stuff for an upcoming project.
Oh, it's perfectly legit as an idea. Jason's reaction isn't necessarily a rational one (in so many cases).