Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Am I blind? 5e PHB, DMG, SCAG?

Sooo ive combed the market several times and searched the forums and can't find the actual FULL 5e Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.  Am I blind? Id love to purchase these and use them in my campaign

Edited 1511352025
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
These aren't available, for now. I don't know if there are plans to add them.

Edited 1511352255
How are you going to put out campaigns without the PHB & DMG!?!  Seems like a huge nerf to ppl wanting to homebrew imo. Sad day
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The Devs are absolutely working on D&D 5th Edition content. Their goal is to release products (both new and backlist titles) on a regular basis. As a part of their licensing agreement, they can’t reveal specifics until they're closer to completion and with the agreement of the licensor (in this case Wizards of the Coast). They will make those announcements here on the forums, as well as the blog , twitter , and via their mailing list (if you’re not signed up for that, you can join here ).

Edited 1511356799
@Pat S - Thanks so much for the detailed info.  I just thought that the PHB and DMG would have been the FIRST content licensed. Would make sense. I love twitter, ill go follow there. Thanks. At this point I'm contemplating going with another VTT because they ~have~ had this content for a loooooong time. I mean, the PHB was released in Aug of 2014 after all! Ive been waiting a year for these, nearly the most basic content, the "Core Rulebooks", to come to R20 and they're still not here. Its really a shame... cause I'm a huge fan of ThisJusting, Buds, Goku, Kure & daneski (formerly Glaurung & Prismat) and Roll20 Esports. Id love to support this product, but that's a huge oversight IMO.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
It's all about the legalities of licensing.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
B Simon Smith said: It's all about the legalities of licensing. This. Many times over. It's not an oversight. Roll20 can only license what the license holder allows to be licensed, and I'm sure they'd love to be able to sell that content. What follows is my suspicion only, and does not represent Roll20 or WotC in any way: Roll20, being far more open in its architecture than its most immediate competition (which is a good thing), probably has more impediments to license certain key properties (which is a bad thing). It's a trade off.

Edited 1511374839
keithcurtis said: What follows is my suspicion only, and does not represent Roll20 or WotC in any way: Going along with this, it helps to realize that while the resource materials for D&D 5e have been around since 2014, Roll20 has not had a licensing agreement with WotC as long. I don't know exact dates, but I think it has only been a little over a year since Roll20 got the licensing. Also in the community round-table, Roll20 stated that they are working on the PHB but they want to have it fully integrated into the system before they release it. This means that they wanted the updates to the Compendium to be operational so that users get the best possible experience for the cost. Other competitors simply release a pdf version of the materials, Roll20 offers more than that.
and i can say this the time Roll20 spends is worth it in my book.  keithcurtis said: B Simon Smith said: It's all about the legalities of licensing. What follows is my suspicion only, and does not represent Roll20 or WotC in any way: and in keeping with both of these items i believe one of the biggest things that is delaying the Release of a lot of content is what i have seen dubb "canvas upgrades"  aka additional map layers and other adjustment to the system as a whole which includes the item Kyle G above talked about... In my book considering the alternatives i think Roll20 is head above the rest. the more time they spend on it the better in my book. nothing is stopping us from using a hardback next to you while you DM... i use a hardback players and the SRD when needed. the internet does have resources that roll20 does not but that does not mean it is roll20 fault for not having it as well.
Wizards business model is a bit weird I think, they are sooo into PAPER products that they let the competition steal their business right in front of them. Just look at their paper TCG Magic the gathering, the  "digital version" is owned by...Blizzard and is called Hearthstone. They are putting D&D "onto the internet" themselves with dndbeyond, but to VTT there...YET.  A bit offtopic, but I'm hoping they start their own VTT with functionality, look and feel matched to D&D. Roll20s "system agnostic" interface look'n'feel is so ugly that every time I log in I can't help but think - this is like a horrormovie without sound... And can we "skin it"? (poop)
I am really sad too that Roll20 has not been able to get the books out, I mean D&D Beyond released on a little while ago and they have all the book available and can be share with the group. Not sure whats the hold up is. Maybe they can't get the licensing? Would be really nice to know because waiting in the dark really sucks. 
Kyle G. said: keithcurtis said: What follows is my suspicion only, and does not represent Roll20 or WotC in any way: Going along with this, it helps to realize that while the resource materials for D&D 5e have been around since 2014, Roll20 has not had a licensing agreement with WotC as long. I don't know exact dates, but I think it has only been a little over a year since Roll20 got the licensing. Also in the community round-table, Roll20 stated that they are working on the PHB but they want to have it fully integrated into the system before they release it. This means that they wanted the updates to the Compendium to be operational so that users get the best possible experience for the cost. Other competitors simply release a pdf version of the materials, Roll20 offers more than that. PDF? Nope. Fantasy Grounds has fully integrated digital PHB. D&D Beyond has a fully searchable, digital PHB. Neither of them are PDFs. In fact, there is NO licensed PDF version of the PHB. I had a lot of back & forth with Roll20 staff on Twitter the day before D&D Beyond launched their full version. I begged them for info on a Roll20 PHB so I could make a buying decision because D&D Beyond had a debut sale of all three core books for $20 each. Roll20 staff would only say that they were working on it, and it would be amazing, etc, but wouldn't give _any_ sort of time frame. So, I went with the digital versions that were readily available. All three core books for $60. And I can just copy and paste what I need into Roll20.
mjsoctober said: Kyle G. said: keithcurtis said: What follows is my suspicion only, and does not represent Roll20 or WotC in any way: Going along with this, it helps to realize that while the resource materials for D&D 5e have been around since 2014, Roll20 has not had a licensing agreement with WotC as long. I don't know exact dates, but I think it has only been a little over a year since Roll20 got the licensing. Also in the community round-table, Roll20 stated that they are working on the PHB but they want to have it fully integrated into the system before they release it. This means that they wanted the updates to the Compendium to be operational so that users get the best possible experience for the cost. Other competitors simply release a pdf version of the materials, Roll20 offers more than that. PDF? Nope. Fantasy Grounds has fully integrated digital PHB. D&D Beyond has a fully searchable, digital PHB. Neither of them are PDFs. In fact, there is NO licensed PDF version of the PHB. I had a lot of back & forth with Roll20 staff on Twitter the day before D&D Beyond launched their full version. I begged them for info on a Roll20 PHB so I could make a buying decision because D&D Beyond had a debut sale of all three core books for $20 each. Roll20 staff would only say that they were working on it, and it would be amazing, etc, but wouldn't give _any_ sort of time frame. So, I went with the digital versions that were readily available. All three core books for $60. And I can just copy and paste what I need into Roll20. Yah no. Licensing isn't the problem. Sorry for not replying here sooner, but Ive had some twitter correspondence with Nolan. PHB has been out for going on 4 years. The competition has had it for going on 3. The delay looks really poorly on R20. 

Edited 1516885163
I imagine when Dev finally release the next big. Canvas we will see a lot drop at once
lordmage said: I imagine when Dev finally release the next big. Canvas we will see a lot drop at once Gargauth will succeed with,The Unveiling and steal Faerun to create the 10th level of Baator before we get the PHB, DMG, and SCAG at this rate...
Shame on me for not looking before I leaped.  I sunk a bunch of money into Roll20, not even considering PHB isn't available since they had MM, Volo's, Storm King and others.  If I could go back in time I'd spend my VERY hard earned money elsewhere.  The tweet above confirming they've HAD licensing for months really irks me!  
Kyle G. said: Other competitors simply release a pdf version of the materials, Roll20 offers more than that. This is simply not true, Fantasy Grounds has an amazing implementation of both the PHB and the DMG. It's the reason I started asking a lot of similar questions in this thread. I had a live demo of FG last week and was beyond impressed with it's automation.
Walter G. said: Shame on me for not looking before I leaped.  I sunk a bunch of money into Roll20, not even considering PHB isn't available since they had MM, Volo's, Storm King and others.  If I could go back in time I'd spend my VERY hard earned money elsewhere.  The tweet above confirming they've HAD licensing for months really irks me!   I agree. This does look bad.
It is disheartening that the PHB and DMG are not part of this. Honestly when i first started playing and stuff I really thought it was awesome I was confused that certain spells were not available and had to be manually entered. Friends were using it and I thought it was great. I should have done my research. Now I have purchased all of these modules thinking that the PHB and DMG were a part of it dumb me no they only have SRD content. Now I am looking at the competition and seeing that they do have the PHB and DMG as well as pathfinder and kobold press and a lifetime sub for a little more than I pay for a year here. I am not sure I will be staying over the two.

Edited 1524759666
Kooky Kanuk said: It is disheartening that the PHB and DMG are not part of this. Honestly when i first started playing and stuff I really thought it was awesome I was confused that certain spells were not available and had to be manually entered. Friends were using it and I thought it was great. I should have done my research. Now I have purchased all of these modules thinking that the PHB and DMG were a part of it dumb me no they only have SRD content. Now I am looking at the competition and seeing that they do have the PHB and DMG as well as pathfinder and kobold press and a lifetime sub for a little more than I pay for a year here. I am not sure I will be staying over the two. I too am in a pickle.  On the one hand I do like Roll20, but on the other, I hate their pricing model and lack of basic books.  They say its a premium feature, but other VTT's do not charge full list price.  Once Fantasy Grounds gets their Unity version (if that will ever happen??) I'm certainly giving them a look... right now, its just too slow. I get the impression that the management team needs greater experience...like hiring a seasonsed CEO.  Roll20 just reeks of amature hour.
Continues to be odd speculation in this thread-- which I understand, and get is well-meaning. To reiterate what was brought over from Twitter, the hold up is Roll20, and our desire to present player-intended data in a different way. We've been hard at work on said presentation, and should have that method in action over the summer. Soon after that-- so long as licensing partners are as excited as we are about this new piece-- we'll start rolling out all manner of materials across a variety of publishers.  As far as amateur hour from me-as-management goes, no disagreement. We've put a bunch of pieces in place over the last year to clean that up and I'm hopeful that everyone will find our release schedule more up to snuff soon.