Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Curious - will there be any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the market place?

I'd love to purchase Tyranny but can't afford it atm. But say it was 50% off, I would be able to purchase it! So do roll20 ever do any specials? deals? discount? sales?
Great question! I know as a Seller, I'd love this option...even if it was a site-wide sale that I could opt into like at RPGNow...
I'm just waiting for something on this black friday, because it's being hard to compete with Fantasy Grounds on Steam.
In the round tables they have said they are not planning to do special sales or discounts.
as the price is determined by the content maker and licensing requirements i do not see it happening outside of what the comment above as said.

Edited 1511465822
Lex
Pro
Are any of the sellers running sales on their products? FG has huge sales on Steam. Wish Roll20 could compete.
Tis a shame. Wizard should really sell D&D books sealed in a bag with a "code". That code allow us, who owns physical copies to download on roll20. Wizard should also realize, with the recent survey, 50k+ 5e games - to consider discounts on book as they will create more potential first timer DMers or more games to hook more players in. Roll20 top brass should be trying to push this and communicate with wizard. Roll20 should be our voice to wizard
You're not paying for the book; you're paying for the work that was done to convert the material to Roll20.
Rabulias said: You're not paying for the book; you're paying for the work that was done to convert the material to Roll20. Said work is done by Roll20 Staff not WOTC... All thou in some cases i wish it also worked the other way as well. That way my Digital purchase could have offline capability. IE The price for the work by roll20 staff seems set to the same price as a hard copy so why not also sell me a hard copy and have an option to include the digital version for slightly more. now yes i could get if im lucky a hardback version cheaper but not always.   
Rabulias said: You're not paying for the book; you're paying for the work that was done to convert the material to Roll20. Uh, some of the price is paying for the content too.
lordmage said: as the price is determined by the content maker and licensing requirements i do not see it happening outside of what the comment above as said. Since FG and Roll20 share many of their content makers, I don't think it would be difficult to extend the sales to this platform.
Brian S. said: lordmage said: as the price is determined by the content maker and licensing requirements i do not see it happening outside of what the comment above as said. Since FG and Roll20 share many of their content makers, I don't think it would be difficult to extend the sales to this platform. see the second part Licensing requirements could also be forcing roll20 hand in priceing to some extent  
lordmage said: Brian S. said: lordmage said: as the price is determined by the content maker and licensing requirements i do not see it happening outside of what the comment above as said. Since FG and Roll20 share many of their content makers, I don't think it would be difficult to extend the sales to this platform. see the second part Licensing requirements could also be forcing roll20 hand in priceing to some extent   Maybe they could ask FG how they manage to pull off a sale.
My best guess is that Roll20 and FG are given the same price from WotC and can set their own price above that minimum, cutting into their own profit margins how they see fit. I think Roll20 sees the extra work they do to convert the content for Roll20 as worth the premium price and so they choose to not have sales or discounts. Remember that someone has to pay for a FG license for players to use (either the player or the GM), so FG has that additional revenue stream that helps offset a lower profit on the third-party content.
Rabulias said: My best guess is that Roll20 and FG are given the same price from WotC and can set their own price above that minimum, cutting into their own profit margins how they see fit. I think Roll20 sees the extra work they do to convert the content for Roll20 as worth the premium price and so they choose to not have sales or discounts. Remember that someone has to pay for a FG license for players to use (either the player or the GM), so FG has that additional revenue stream that helps offset a lower profit on the third-party content. true but they need to see if there is a potential growth and if the math makes sense. example - atm, they have a pattern - every month 10 people buys the $50 book on roll20 - that is $500/ month now if they sense there is a potential market atm for lowering the cost.. So for the month of Dec - they would have their guarentee 10 people based on pattern + 16 people who were willing to pay for it at $35. total of 26 buyer for the month of Dec 26x50=$910 total profit - $500 of what they would have normally made= $410 additional profit. let's say it was only 5 additional buyer 15x35 = $525 - $25 additional profit.. so basically, if Roll20 senses, if they would to drop the price at $35 for a sale, can they see 5+ more people making a purchase to pass their quota. Because if it was 14 people x35=$490 - than they make no profit. But if there is a market right now, knowing more people are willing to buy it at a lower cost, will it surpass their establish quota revenue. If they sense a yes, they should do a 1 time yearly sale. Announce it, market it and set a date on it and watch the money flow in. 
No sale from Roll20 means no purchases from me this holiday. I spent $150 on Beyond and FG combined.
To answer OP, we don't do special sales, mainly because we are trying to create value in a market that is often undervalued and traditionally has tended to undervalue itself. This is our philosophical stance right now and is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future. Feedback has been noted and I'll go ahead now and close this thread to avoid it further devolving into off topic territory.