Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] [Savage Worlds/Shadowrun] [Monday PST]

GM looking for players for a Savage Worlds game with me and my wife. When and Where: Interest has already been expressed for a Monday game, so that's the current plan. I'm PST but I'm free all day Monday, late afternoon or evening preferred, but I'm very flexible. Looking to do a weekly game but if you can only do bi-weekly feel free to speak up anyway. I'd like to do it via voice chat with discord, but if you don't have a mic feel free to pipe up anyway and we might be able to accommodate chat-only. System: One of my hobbies is taking RPGs where I like the setting but not the system and converting them to something more palatable. In this case I've created a conversion for Shadowrun to the Savage Worlds system. It bears mentioning that this is sort of a hybrid version of Shadowrun, based heavily on 3rd edition, with elements of 4th and 5th mixed in. This means that Shamans and Mages are fairly different, you can do basic hacking with AR but doing things like invading a network typically calls for full VR. Tech is a little clunkier, a little more anachronistic. I like my cyberpunk from the 80s and 90s is what I'm saying. One thing I haven't converted is Technomancers (not my favorite setting element), but if it's something you really want to do I can knock some rules together. If you're new to either Shadowrun or Savage Worlds, you're still welcome. I'm happy to teach new players. rules for my SW/Shadowrun hack are here: <a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dkSHCjlC_3OG9pRGE5ZG9IR2c/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dkSHCjlC_3OG9pRGE5ZG9IR2c/view?usp=sharing</a> Players: I've got one PC on board already (my wife, playing a melee-focused street samurai) and I'm looking to recruit 2-4 more for a full team. Game would be "classic" shadowrun, mission-based runs with some overarching plot elements to tie things together. If you're familiar with the term I'm a "mirror shades" type of Shadowrun GM, but if everyone is on board for some Pink Mohawk fun I'm down for that too. Let me know what sort of character you'd be interested in and if there are any questions you've got.
Im very interested as long as time works out, Im EST.&nbsp; PC concept would be a Combat Adept focused on guns.

Edited 1511452283
Greetings, I don't have much experience with Shadowrun beyond the recent spate of games (Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong) so I won't be bringing much lore to the table.&nbsp; I'd be interested in playing whatever would help the group, but some kind of stealth based person would be my preference. Edit: I'd only be able to play if the game started 9:30 PM Eastern or later.
9:30 eastern time translates to 6:30 PM for me and that works out just fine for me. Assuming there's no objections from any other recruits I'd say that's a good start time. As far as experience, the Shadowrun Returns game and its sequels are a pretty good primer for the sort of game I tend to run, so that works out well anyway. I'm not a huge lore guy anyway, and I'm more into the broad strokes of the shadowrun setting than the little details.
If you could when developing your character, let me know where you prefer to fall on the "robin hood" scale of Shadowrunners: 0) Complete cold-blooded killers who eat babies for paychecks. 1) amoral and ruthless but with at least a token set of ethics. 2) "average" shadowrunner, willing to steal and kill for cash but would at least charge a lot more for straight-out wetwork. 3) Willing to work for bad guys, but won't take jobs that would hurt the innocent. 4) Total robin hood. The moral implications of a run are more important than the pay. Also, any preference on ammo rules. As written the rules assume tracking ammo, but if everyone would prefer to play things looser I'm happy to go with the cinematic ammo rules.
Mine would probably be (2) or (3) depending a bit on the way the rest of the people want to play it.

Edited 1511654422
It's a good range for me, I figure so long as everyone's within a step or so of one another on that it shouldn't cause much inter-party problems. Just want to make sure I've got a good yardstick to create missions/scenarios. Oh, and worth mentioning since Shadowrun has a lot of niches, if the party ends up having a deficiency in a particular area (say hacking or astral work), I'll be adjusting things to fit relatively within your skillset. So, Brian, if you want to add a bit of hacking skill to your infiltrator that would be great, but at the same time if that doesn't happen I won't put everyone in a situation where you get diced by auto-turrets every other mission. Likewise, the Savage Worlds system makes dabbling in different areas a bit more accessible than core shadowrun. By the way, just to be upfront I'm still a bit green with the roll20 system. I'm practicing with some cobbled-together maps and putting together a set of basic macros, but please bear with me if I overlook something or am unfamiliar with forum ettiquite or anything. EDIT: having said that, I should ask a question...I tend to try and get a feel for a forum/community by reading other posts but I admit that roll20 is throwing me off a bit. I'm looking through the other LFG posts here and while obviously there's many that don't get a bite, there are several that just seem to trail off. The GM proposes a game, a good chunk of people pipe up expressing interest or even posting characters and then no apparent further discussion or resolution. Is it just a lot of games dying on the vine, or is it just more traditional around here to move behind-the-scenes via PM or something once interest is established?
Is this Shadowrun or is it Savage Worlds? And no, it's GMs flaking like crazy. It's a disturbingly common thing that's insanely frustrating.
Howdy!&nbsp; I'm a PST fellow too.&nbsp; I'm interested in playing.&nbsp; I've no experience with Savage Worlds, and my Shadowrun experience is one table-top session years ago (late 90s/early 2000s?) no idea what edition, there were a f-ton of d6s on the table...&nbsp; And I've played with the recent PC reboots.&nbsp; That said my gaming cred goes back to the DnD redbox.&nbsp; I've played and run various systems and genres. I'm also a long time cyberpunk fan. Thematically, I'm up for something in the middle of the Robin Hood scale.&nbsp; Character wise I'm pretty flexible, though I tend to gravitate towards either sneaky, kung-fu, druidish or academic/wizardy.&nbsp; But I'm happy to fill holes as needed.&nbsp; And hacking has always tempted me, though I'm not sure how well that role meshes with a standard party. I'm down with voice and video.&nbsp; 6:30 PST is awesome! Mondays are great and weekly is good too (barring the occasional hiccough). Cheers!
Tim said: Is this Shadowrun or is it Savage Worlds? And no, it's GMs flaking like crazy. It's a disturbingly common thing that's insanely frustrating. It's both! Basically a Savage Worlds conversion of the Shadowrun setting (set in the 2060's, but using some concepts from 4e/5e shadowrun). Sucks about flaky GMs, but glad I wasn't missing some step or doing any kind of forum faux pas.
Dochockin said: Howdy!&nbsp; I'm a PST fellow too.&nbsp; I'm interested in playing.&nbsp; I've no experience with Savage Worlds, and my Shadowrun experience is one table-top session years ago (late 90s/early 2000s?) no idea what edition, there were a f-ton of d6s on the table...&nbsp; And I've played with the recent PC reboots.&nbsp; That said my gaming cred goes back to the DnD redbox.&nbsp; I've played and run various systems and genres. I'm also a long time cyberpunk fan. Thematically, I'm up for something in the middle of the Robin Hood scale.&nbsp; Character wise I'm pretty flexible, though I tend to gravitate towards either sneaky, kung-fu, druidish or academic/wizardy.&nbsp; But I'm happy to fill holes as needed.&nbsp; And hacking has always tempted me, though I'm not sure how well that role meshes with a standard party. I'm down with voice and video.&nbsp; 6:30 PST is awesome! Mondays are great and weekly is good too (barring the occasional hiccough). Cheers! Sounds great. New-comers to Savage Worlds aren't a problem and the Shadowrun PC games are actually a great intro to the style of the setting I prefer, so there's no problem there. Savage Worlds comes with a really solid set of freeby "test drive" rules: <a href="https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/TD" rel="nofollow">https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/TD</a>... They have everything you need to learn the nuts and bolts of the system itself (how rolling works, damage, etc). The main area it's short is the full list of Powers (for magic-users) and Edges (although it's got a really good summary on page 10). The only other thing to keep in mind is that character creation uses the rules in the conversion rather than the rules in the test drive. I'm perfectly willing to help folks get a handle on the system, so if you have a character concept and you want me to throw some ideas for things like builds or Edge selection at you, just let me know. Just going over the characters we've gotten proposed so far: NJ (my wife): melee focused human street samurai with a speed/agility theme. Kenneth: gun-slinger adept (I'll just point out the "gun-fu" Edge on page 8 of the conversion). Brian: stealth-based Lazergoblin (via PM): combat mage
Are we meeting up tomorrow?
Why don't we set a week from tomorrow as the tentative first day. This'll be my first weekend after working the holidays so I'd rather get a bit more time tinkering and learning the ropes of roll20 and discord first. I stay online a lot on the weekend though so if there's any questions feel free to post here or PM me.
A week tomorrow sounds good.&nbsp; Are we aiming for 6:30 PST?&nbsp; Orion, can you clarify if playing a hacker is a viable role?&nbsp; Will I be part of the party if I do so, or will I be off on my own in the matrix all the time and essentially playing a parallel game?
If you can savage worlds has a cyberpunk setting called interface zero may be worth looking into. I know i loved playing it
Dochockin said: A week tomorrow sounds good.&nbsp; Are we aiming for 6:30 PST?&nbsp; Orion, can you clarify if playing a hacker is a viable role?&nbsp; Will I be part of the party if I do so, or will I be off on my own in the matrix all the time and essentially playing a parallel game? Yep, 6:30 PST seems to be the consensus and that works well for me too. And yeah, since I've toned down the wireless element having a hacker "on-site" is very useful rather than someone back in the van.&nbsp; Since you mentioned your main experience is with the shadowrun video games I'll try and use them as the comparison. In the shadowrun returns/dragonfall game most of the hacking you see in the game would work out to "basic hacking" in this system, the sort of thing that wouldn't normally demand full VR (and if you go full VR, will likely take just a round or two). If you're really good, or lucky, you could even do that while also shooting, etc. This is stuff like getting a particular door open, cracking the protection on a personal cyberterminal, etc. Matrix Combat is where you leave your body behind and go full VR to invade a network directly. This is more what the matrix looks like in the SR video games and it leaves your physical body helpless. Because of this it is not normally done in the middle of combat unless things are going really, really badly. It usually serves as legwork before a mission (to do things like steal floorplans, security details, etc or insert a backdoor into the security system) or as the apex of a mission centered around data-theft (i.e. get the hacker to the data-vault so he can hack in and steal the prototype plans your employer is looking for). It grants bigger access and can, potentially, do some very impressive things like suborning a building's security system, taking control of a fleet of drones, etc, but it comes with greater risk since you can also be directly attacked by enemy Sprites. And I always tend to suggest that hackers work best with a bit of side-skills. Whether that's also being good at face-to-face social skills, some decent gunplay or sticking electronic and investing in a few combat drones.

Edited 1511775935
I have some SW stuff, never got to play it though; always been interested in Shadowrun but never got to play it either....would you be interested in teaching a newcomer? I've played d&d for roughly 20 years if that helps...every edition
Yeah, totally. The basic SW rules are available here: <a href="https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/T" rel="nofollow">https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/T</a>... with their "test drive" rules, which, in combination with the conversion document should cover the rules necessary for the game, and I'm fine with fielding questions on character builds, rules, etc. Looks like we've got a fair number of people interested, I don't intend to close recruitment yet or anything, just in case anyone needs to drop out due to time/interest/etc issues.
Orion G. said: Yeah, totally. The basic SW rules are available here: <a href="https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/T" rel="nofollow">https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/T</a>... with their "test drive" rules, which, in combination with the conversion document should cover the rules necessary for the game, and I'm fine with fielding questions on character builds, rules, etc. Looks like we've got a fair number of people interested, I don't intend to close recruitment yet or anything, just in case anyone needs to drop out due to time/interest/etc issues. Awesome, pm me a game link and discord info!
Orion:&nbsp; can you clarify how the priority packages work?&nbsp; How do we pick?&nbsp; Do we get one from each letter? Say I pick human, I still have an&nbsp; A,B,C and D to choose from?
Orion, definitely going to need help making a character, but on the plus side I think I have the newest SW book on hand; just haven't got to learn the system yet&nbsp;
Dochockin said: Orion:&nbsp; can you clarify how the priority packages work?&nbsp; How do we pick?&nbsp; Do we get one from each letter? Say I pick human, I still have an&nbsp; A,B,C and D to choose from? Exactly. So, for instance a human tech-focused character like a hacker is probably going to go E for race and D for magic, C would probably be contacts, with B and A for XP and cash (a "pure hacker" build would probably take XP as priority A, but taking cash as Priority A would work if you're wanting to beef things up with drones or cyberware). Gemtooth said: Orion, definitely going to need help making a character, but on the plus side I think I have the newest SW book on hand; just haven't got to learn the system yet&nbsp; Sure thing. Feel free to post or PM any questions. I'm making sure I know what I'm doing with discord, so give me a bit on that.
Cool just pm me once you have a discord account and if you want I can set a channel up on my server for the game&nbsp;
I know next to nothing about Shadow run, but I was lookign&nbsp;for a Savage workkds&nbsp;game on mondays.
Bryce said: I know next to nothing about Shadow run, but I was lookign&nbsp;for a Savage workkds&nbsp;game on mondays. New SR players are definitely welcome, wikipedia has a decent summary of the setting: <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun</a> but if you've got questions feel free to shoot.
So, we've got a lot of potential recruits, so I'm going to ask for a bit of a roll-call of people who are still interested, just so I know who is still on board. I think I can take Dochockin and DM Southie as assumed since they've been the most active recently. If everyone else could just chime in to let me know if everyone is still looking to play or if we've lost anyone.
I will have to play in the future, keep a slot for me if you can, restarting an old ongoing campaign of mine (got talked into it by a long term player of mine) plus I'd still need time to research and build a character; if you need to fill my slot go ahead, I can always join later should someone drop out, sorry for the confusion
DM Southie said: I will have to play in the future, keep a slot for me if you can, restarting an old ongoing campaign of mine (got talked into it by a long term player of mine) plus I'd still need time to research and build a character; if you need to fill my slot go ahead, I can always join later should someone drop out, sorry for the confusion That's cool. Let me know if you're up for it later on and I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem slipping another player in.
I've sent discord/game links to Brian and Dochokin, anyone else still on board?
Just to keep things in the loop, I had also posted a recruitment on rpg.net, got two folks interested so far. One hasn't mentioned a specific role yet, the other is thinking of a shaman/face type.
Sweet!&nbsp; ShamanFace!
Yeah still on board here. yould like an invite.