Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Nesting Abilities in another Ability

I've been reading up about nesting Abilities (not campaign-wide macros, but exclusive Abilities that have been programmed into individual character sheets) but I can't get the Ability to work inside the wrapper Ability. This is for a super-hero campaign, where each character has their own Abilities of varying power and effect, so a global macro probably would need a LOT of individual tweaking. I'm trying to group each player's individual Abilities into categories, like Attacks, Defense, Movement, etc., and I'm able to do that so they show up in the Chat Window, but then I can't get any specific Ability in a category to "fire". I've read the Roll20 Wiki page about Nesting Macros, and I've substituted the # before the Ability name with a %, but the Ability still won't work when I click on it through the wrapper Ability. I've also changed the closing } and ] to the HTML equivalent in the nested Ability; the wrapper Ability seems to work fine. I've added screenshots of the wrapper Ability and one of the nested Abilities I want to run.  The player can click on their token and the Stats token action will pop up. In the Chat window, this menu will appear (the /w GM function is for testing purposes only for now until I can get this to work): Then the player (I'm using a generic Police Officer for the test) can click on the Brawn button to generate a Brawn roll (2d6 x their Brawn stat). Instead, this is what I get in the Chat window instead of the Brawn ability running: Substituting the words "Police Officer" for the @{Name} field doesn't change anything. And using the Brawn Ability outside of the Stats wrapper Ability works just fine. Can any coding experts tell me what I'm doing wrong or lend a hand?
I believe most of your problem is you're trying to use command buttons for global macros (the # ones) when you should be using ability command buttons  which is in the wiki  here . Basically change the buttons to something like [Brawn](~@{Name}|Brawn} for each of the stats. Also I don't think you need the } in the individual stats abilities HTML equivalents mostly are needed in roll queries because of the  order of operations in roll20 .
I finally had a chance to revisit this and OHMYGODITWORKED. This is going to speed up our gameplay a lot. THANK YOU SO MUCH!  \o/