Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can't Stay Logged Into Site

I would have hoped this wasn't just me, but I couldn't find any topics complaining of the same thing. I visit Roll20 using Google Chrome, and it works fine, except that every single time I visit I have to log back in to the site; no matter what I do it just doesn't want to remember me, which is really annoying, as it makes popping by to check notifications/scheduled game times and such far more annoying. It doesn't seem to even have any consistency to it; for example, I know that "session" cookies (without a fixed expiry date) disappear when you close your browser, but sometimes I can close and reopen the browser and still be logged in. My current session cookie (rack.session) in fact has an expiry date of 12th December 2017 (bit short, but several weeks at least) yet tomorrow I fully expect I'll be logged out again as always. And to be clear; I'm talking about the site itself, not the actual virtual tabletop (I can stay logged into that just fine, presumably because of it constantly updating itself). Has anyone else using Google Chrome experienced this? Are there any settings I should check to try and figure out why I'm not staying logged in? While I do use an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin) and an anti-tracking plugin (Privacy Badger), both are already disabled for this site, and I've already tried disabling the Do Not Track header to no avail.
Just curious if you solely use the same PC and Chrome, or are there times when you check on another computer or possibly even your phone. If you use multiple devices or browsers it will automatically log you out of the previous device/browser.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Do you happen to use a VPN at all?
Kyle G. said: Just curious if you solely use the same PC and Chrome, or are there times when you check on another computer or possibly even your phone. If you use multiple devices or browsers it will automatically log you out of the previous device/browser. Occasionally, but this happens even if I only use Chrome on Windows for several days consecutively as well. For example this week I've only accessed roll20 from the same Windows PC using Chrome and nothing else, but had to login every time. Last time I was working from my Mac I did so for several days, again using only the same machine and browser, and had to login each time, in that case using Safari. But in both cases I'm using the same machine and browser for several days at a time without switching between them. Ziechael said: Do you happen to use a VPN at all? Nope, nothing unusual about my network that I can think of! Other sites work fine, it's just roll20 that seems to be acting up for some reason. Like I say, it's weird, as the cookies appear to be getting set correctly as they have an expiry date of several weeks, but for some reason when I return the site it just doesn't seem to care that I have them.

Edited 1511965336
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hmm, that is weird, lets run through the tech help steps to see if its something 'simple' (I know some of these won't/don't apply but it's a boiler plate lol): Could you please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thank you!
Apologies for the delay, I've been giving this a lot of trial and error and I believe I've narrowed down a possible cause. I've tried multiple fresh browsers (no leftover caches, settings etc., no add-ons) and the problem can still occur. The issue appears to be with any browser set to allow cookies only from "visited" sites; this is the default in some browsers now, and a recommended setting for most browsers. That said, I've done some web-development myself and can't for the life of me figure out why this should cause login issues; by any definition roll20.net is definitely a visited site, and the cookies appear valid and should be used, yet I still get logged out somehow with this setting enabled, but if I turn it off I can return and remain logged in just like I would expect.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That sounds strange indeed! If you could supply the console log (see step 4 in my previous post) I can flag this for a dev to take a look at and see if they can identify a likely cause for you.
Hi Haravikk, To start: What is your geo location? Specifically, we have had issues with ISPs in places such as Egypt where they were caching login info from users and serving it back to the wrong people. This man-in-the-middle attack made us start needing to log people out for account security concerns. If you are located near Egypt, Syria, Iraq, or Iran, you may be experiencing this security fix we implemented. If this does not apply, then this might point to a cookie that was cached incorrectly, hard clearing your cache will allow our site to rebuild the cookie and perhaps saving the login information. Lastly, it might be worthwhile to check out a VPN if you are located in the afforementioned areas as it may resolve your issue.

Edited 1517718199
Hey Drespar and Ziechael, I've been having the same issue for quite some time now. The site will not remember me and stay logged in. I haven't narrowed down exactly how long it lasts because that would be absurd but I was logged in last night and our session ended around 11pm. Here I am at 8pm and I had to sign in again.  Questions that have already been asked: I've tried checking another browser (I use Chrome and the issue happened with firefox as well) I cleared my cache I disabled all extensions I do not use a VPN I do not use any other device to sign in I live in the PNW, so Geo location shouldn't be an issue I'm using Chrome Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit) Operating on Windows 10 Javascript is enabled I'm using Windows Defender As to supplying a console log, I'll be able to do that tomorrow but I'm not really sure it would be of any use. This is not a bug that happens while using the site, just revisiting it. Anyway I hope this can be figured out because I love this site, I just want it to remember me.
I don't think I have this problem as severely, but I also find that I have to log in to roll20 pretty much every visit. I assumed the login was set to only last a day or something. (It certainly lasts less than a week for me!) I'm in the US, not using a VPN, and uBlock is disabled for roll20. How long should it be before I have to log in again?
I noticed that this usually happens when I'm logged in on my computer, but then use my phone or tablet to browse the forum (so same IP address, but not logged in). In most cases, I had to log in again when I went back to the computer afterwards. Strangely enough, when we are having our sessions, we play here with two computers (one for me as GM and one for the party), two different accounts, but in the same network (thus, same IP again), and we don't experience any issues then.
Joel M said: I don't think I have this problem as severely, but I also find that I have to log in to roll20 pretty much every visit. I assumed the login was set to only last a day or something. (It certainly lasts less than a week for me!) I'm in the US, not using a VPN, and uBlock is disabled for roll20. How long should it be before I have to log in again? I have the same issue.&nbsp; I asked about it here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5861327/how-to-g" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5861327/how-to-g</a>... Every time I log in, it does not remember my email or password even though I haven't blocked it from remembering this site.&nbsp; I double checked my settings.&nbsp; For me it lasts less than a day, and my browser (Chrome) never suggest my login name, not even when I start typing it in.
I just did some checking and have more details.&nbsp; When I login on Firefox, the little popup in the upper right appears with empty username and password fields - it doesn't remember mine, like on Chrome.&nbsp; If I hit enter on that dialog with nothing in the fields, then I get the main page with username and password fields.&nbsp; In those ones, Firefox does remember my username and password, while Chrome still does not.&nbsp; Since I use Firefox for work and Chrome for personal, I only normally use Chrome to access the site, which is why I reported this.

Edited 1519584009
For what it's worth, after signing out and back in just now (to make sure I'm getting a good sample), I have the following cookie names and expirations for .roll20.net: _gat&nbsp;2018-02-25T18:30:31.000Z _gid&nbsp;2018-02-26T18:30:11.000Z rack.session&nbsp;2018-03-12T18:30:14.271Z roll20tempauth&nbsp;2018-03-25T13:30:14.000Z __cfduid&nbsp;2018-04-22T16:50:15.209Z __gads&nbsp;2018-12-15T23:27:38.000Z _ga&nbsp;2020-02-25T18:30:11.000Z I would have assumed the session or tempauth would reflect how long logins last, but it definitely makes me log in more frequently than that. Do the _gat or _gid cookies affect this and need to be set for a longer expiration? EDIT: Looks like _gat and _gid are just part of Google analytics, so probably a coincidence.