Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Solid Reviews of Monster Manual and Volos Guide?

Maybe I'm too old and lost my Google-foo. But I can't seem to find any reviews of the Monster Manual or Volos Guide for Roll20. I would like to see what I would actually be getting before shelling out my cash for it. Even better would be a 30 minute try it before you buy it option, just so we can see what we're getting and how its delivered, etc.
Another option is to ask someone who has purchased said content to make a game using them.  Then make you co-GM so you can see what it contains, how it is formatted, etc.

Edited 1511874729
Lordmage, I would be really interested in checking this out at some point. Is there a specific time that works for you? Or would it be possible to do what Three of Swords mentioned, and create a new game and add me?
The content is generally fine but it still amazes me how certain monsters just have broken attacks or spells. You have to test them before or during because it turns into you taking 1 minute to check all the rolls. The monster's manual is a good investment for sure, the volo's guide not so much.
Could you do me one favor with that game? Could you yourself add a mook to that blank map I added. Maybe then I could get an idea of what the players see? I wasn't sure how many NPCs actually came with Volo?
in the game i showed you everything is as the volos modules created it nothing was added. the monster tokens represent the total monsters from volos. the best purchase first is the monster manual that gives you more monsters to start with then i would do volos that just my two pennys
Would anyone in this thread be willing to let me have a gander at the Volos module or the Monster Manual in Roll20? I'm going to be converting a 3.5 adventure to 5th edition and really want to do as little work as possible with putting creatures into Roll20.  Thanks!
Trudy said: Would anyone in this thread be willing to let me have a gander at the Volos module or the Monster Manual in Roll20? I'm going to be converting a 3.5 adventure to 5th edition and really want to do as little work as possible with putting creatures into Roll20.  Thanks! if your after volos i can show you that but i can tell you the monster manual is the better of the two. both is still the best. going from 3.5 to 5e with monster abilities already done drag and drop get token it is a dream both do that but there are more monsters in the MM than Volos but there are more unique monsters in volos.  Volos can add some maps as a game add on to anygame the monster manual will unlock more monsters to use from with in any game.