Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Too much in-game lag

Hello, I have a problem with my campaign on roll20. When loading the campaign i can initially move around in the map with the right click (very laggy) but after roughly 30 seconds it freezes for up to 1 minute in order to load i guess. The main problem is that aside from that it lags tremendously when trying to move around the camera in any map (especially big maps), when trying to move tokens, click on tokens, open char sheets and almost everything else besides macros. First of all, I have followed all of your steps to troubleshooting on chrome which I use primarily, cleared cache, deactivated adblock etc. still no improvement. Second of all, there are in total 8 people logged in my campaign me and 7 other players (but mostly 6-7 people logged in on most play sessions.) The lag does not change whether I have connected alone to the campaign or with my friends. (so i'm guessing amount of players connected not important in this instance) Third, I have imported an extensive amount of monsters from the dnd 5e books (over 100) and placed them into multiple subfolders for classification (eg. CR 1, CR 2 etc.) Fourth, I have loaded a few really, really large maps (almost 100x100) Question 1: Could this have to do with the extensive journal that it tries to load every time we connect to the game? if so once it has loaded shouldn't the game run smoothly? Question 2: Could this have to do with the really big maps I have imported? (some go up to 98x89 squares). If so wouldn't the game run smoothly when DM and players are on a small level?
short answer yes.. Longer answer: Maps at best i find are 36x36 units any bigger and it lags... the more handouts you have the slower it can load. i would make a copy of your existing remove out what is not needed for the next few sessions in your playing game and use transirier to load what you need from session to session. in essence have a storage game and a playing game.  also pageFX and API also can slow the load and game play a small fraction. 
Will that work with a plus subscription or only with a pro?
Samsok said: Will that work with a plus subscription or only with a pro? Pro
Having lots of .png images on your map/play area increases lag. Broadcasting audio and video from Roll20 can lag on occasion as well. Massive chat log can cause issues, lag might be one. The more the system has to keep track of, the more time it takes to keep track of it all.
Are you using Advanced Fog of War... there appears to be some issues going on with that right now. 
I was using fog of war and I have deactivated it for now, I am using a singular PNG image for the every map that I have made on Dungeon Painter Studio but also all the monster tokens are pngs. The main problem was in the latest map we're playing where I placed roughly 30+ small glowing mushroom tokens throughout a huge cavern map to provide the players with small dim light sources throughout. I think that along with the 96*89 map and the numerous drow elves inside of it was basically too much. Essentially I tried to push the system to the limit and see what's actually possible. If I change the png images for the maps to JPEG images will that help?