Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Managing Multiple Sheets and Pull Requests

I tried my first pull request, but I have just the one fork and it has two sheets in it. Since one sheet hasn't been tested by the community yet, they rejected the pull request (which is what I wanted them to do) and told me to create another fork. I think they mispoke here, and I thought I'd ask people better with github their advice. 1) I don't see a way to create a second fork under my account. I suspect that they meant a branch. 2) I don't see a good way to roll back my existing sheets on the current fork. I'm thinking the best way to go forward is to make sure everything is backed up, delete my fork, then create two branches off of it, one for each sheet, leaving the main fork clean, for if I add a third sheet in the future.  Does that sound right? I might need to make a Paranoia Sheet sometime in the future.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I don't think there's any way to roll back commits (beyond the very most recent one) in the UI, you'd have to use the command-line git tool. If you're using the GitHub for Windows application, there's a menu item somewhere in the app that should open PowerShell, and already be in the correct working directory for your repo. git log Will show you a log of your commits, including the SHA hashes that you can use to reference them. git reset --hard HEAD~1 Will roll back the most recent commit; HEAD~2 will roll back the most recent 2 commits, etc. Instead of HEAD~N, you can also use a specific SHA hash to roll back to a specific commit. Once you've rolled back, you can force your online forked repo on GitHub to be the same by forcing a push: git push origin HEAD --force As an alternative, you could forcibly reset your local repo and your online fork to the current version of the official repo: git fetch upstream git reset --hard upstream/master git push origin HEAD --force NOTE: "RESET --HARD" IS DESTRUCTIVE, AND WILL CAUSE YOU TO LOSE THE WORK ON PREVIOUS COMMITS. YOU MAY WANT TO BACK UP CHANGES YOU'VE MADE FIRST. Once you've got your repo rolled back, you can create new branches based on your master branch. You can do this from the UI, or from the command line with: git checkout -b my-new-branch-name Each Pull Request you make will be based on a branch, and any commits to that branch before the PR is accepted will also be part of that PR. This is why your two logically separate changes (two different sheets) both on your master branch were part of the same PR. However, if you have changes on two different branches, you can create two different PRs with different content.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
An easier way of creating a fresh new branch to put your new sheet in without being contaminated by your own master would be to create a new branch off Roll20/master: git checkout -b my-new-branch-name Roll20/master (my git may be rusty, so perhaps the command isn't 100% correct). There's a GUI option for this too.
But the point is that I want to have each sheet in its own branch. Because deleting the fork and creating it new, then just reuploading those two sheets to the new branches is really pretty trivial. Probably take ten minutes. But I'll try Jakob's command line first.