Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Post Tagging

Edited 1512150987
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Okay, I think I have the basic tagging laid out. Here's what I've got for rough guidelines (posted here as much for my own reference at a later date as for anyone else). Placement: Tags come at the end of the post title, in the great tradition of AO3 and fanfic sites the world over. (Mostly because I started out by putting them at the front, and it got kind of intrusive pretty quickly.) The main tags are: [Recap] Used for any post summarizing the action of an actual play session. [Cutscene] I could have called this 'fiction', but I want it to have more authority than that - unless otherwise noted, this stuff should be treated as though it happened.  [RP] If the cutscene was actually 'played out' on the forum or a google doc or whatever, I also gave it this tag. (Also it's possible I missed some of these.) [Background] World-building, character building, NPC creation. Things like that. Might also be [Prep] and/or (less often) [Cutscene] [tech] is what it looks like. Stuff like trello, the wiki, et cetera. [Prep] If it's laying the groundwork for something that you want to happen in-session. Might also (maybe even often) be [Background], or even [Cutscene]. [Meme] Just because. [System] For any discussion/hacks/addons for the Masks RPG system. (I didn't get a shot of this one.) Finally, posts can have more than one tag, though I usually only gave it [Background] as a tag if doing some kind of character or world building seemed to be part of the point, otherwise practically everything would get it.
Thanks for the tagging, Doyce.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
NOTE: Case matters right now, so [Cutscene] and [cutscene] are not the same tag.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Oops! I'll fix that this evening
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
There have been times when people didn't tag a post, or the tags in a post evolved. So here is a question: since it's technically feasible to take tags from the post body as well, either in [Tag] or #Hashtag or whatever form, is that a feature of interest?
Well, on the (proven) assumption that the Roll20 forums get a C+ in terms of flexibility and power, and therefore won't even the the person who posted something change the title ... I would much  rather see the tagging done in the post rather than in the title, for just that reason.  (Of course, my CDO -- and I don't mean Chief Data Officer -- would prefer that something enforce a standardized format for post titles so that we can't make errors and so that everything theoretically could be sorted in a neat and tidy and intelligible fashion. I would also like a pony, and a plastic rocket, and ...)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I added early support for hashtags. Simply put a hashtag somewhere in a post e.g. #Alysummer and it will appear along with [Background], [Meme], etc. on the sidebar of the search page. Hashtags are not yet the same thing as thread title tags. They are similar - results are always 'newest first' not 'most relevant' first. Should there only be one type of tag, and it can happen both in title and body? Do we care about sort order for tags? If so, do we like newest first? There's shenanigans going on behind the scenes for how I implemented it, and it's ugly. I'm probably going to turn it into a field you can search on as well, e.g. 'author:Dave tags:Jalycia', and there'll be an option for how you sort results. Then everybody will be happy.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't necessarily want to dictate the order that the results come in, as long as I know the order the results come in. So if you say it's newest first and oldest at the bottom, I'm totally happy with that because that tells me where to look for the old stuff or the first instance or whichever.