Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Creating Something Awesome (5e) [Sat 10PM EST]

Hello! I'm a D&D 5e player, a fan of Critical Role, and I'm looking to get a game going Saturday nights, starting around 10pm EST. I don't mean tonight. I mean eventually. I've done some DMing, but this time around I'm looking for a game I can play in. I prefer a DM that wants to run a home-brew campaign, as pre-written modules don't treat character stories as first class citizens. I've been looking for a while, and have come to the conclusion that the best way to make this happen is to find like minded players first. If we can get a group together with a shared interest, I think we could hop on discord and get to know each other some while we seek out a DM. I think five players is the perfect number. We could play some one-shot games to get to know each other, while we prepare for a long term campaign. Why look for players first? Because players define the game as much as the DM does. I'm looking for a game where players role-play . What I mean by this is: - You develop a solid base for a character background, but leave spots to fill in as we play, and you actively add to your backstory as we go along. - You prepare for games. You don't just show up 10 minutes late at game time and make it all up as you go. You think about your character and his/her story in between games, what is his/her opinion on his companions and how does he interact with them. You reach out OOC to other players to talk through ideas about how your characters interact. Also consider things your character might do outside of what stats you want, what combat move you'll do next, and what jokes you'll play on people. - You initiate things. You pull that halfling aside one evening and ask him why he left his home - since he's said things that make you think it was not his choice. You interact with other players, not only as a large group, but also to establish personal connections between your character and the others you travel with. - You don't just wait for the DM to bounce the group from combat to combat. (I enjoy combat a lot - but it's soo much better when it's supported by an amazing story) - You aren't an attention hog. You have a sense of timing. When to be funny, when to interrupt and get involved, and when to sit back and let your fellow players have a moment in the spotlight. - You find a voice for your character. Speak with an accent, talk from the first person, avoid rules discussions. Avoid things like "Bob needs to get into that city and tells the guard to let him pass." - instead, say "I approach the guard and look him in the eye. 'A woman's life depends on me getting into the city, every minute you delay could lead to her death!'" - Perspective is everything. Meta-gaming is not fun for others. If two party members went off and discussed a plan to sneak off at night, you don't 'conveniently' insist your character wants to stay up and keep an eye out all night. You can separate what you know OOC and what you know IC. - You're not afraid of expressing emotions. I mean grief, love, sadness, hope - not just anger at one's enemies. - and... in addition to the above, you have a good sense of humor and at the same time you don't create an environment that bothers other players. The best games I've played have had an interesting and diverse group of players, and a welcoming fun friendly environment is key to that. If you're interested as a player to participate in a game that focuses on immersion, let me know. We'll chat on discord. It's likely this isn't going to start this week, or next week. Getting a group like this together is going to take some time - it may take months. If you're a DM and thinking you wish you had a group like this, speak up. I'd love to talk to you also! As a father, time is really one of the bigger challenges for me. Sat nights are the only real option for me. Also, I prefer video, as seeing people's faces and reactions does add a lot to the experience. I'd be up for streaming on twitch, and creating some youtube videos of our games also. This is a secondary goal though, the primary mission here is to find a group where we can connect with each other, build friendships, and create those great moments that we'll carry with us forever.
This is exactly the type of group I am looking for as both a DM and a player. However, time is a bit of an issue: if you were to agree on starting around 11h30PM for games of approx. 3hours, it would be more suitable for me and I would be glad to DM the game for the group. I am also open to an earlier time on like a Sunday if that could work for you. I won't go into details such as the type of DM I am and my experience if the time is set in stone for 10PM. Let me know, Cheers
Hey Steeve! Not before Sat 9:30PM EST is the real constraint for me... but starting later and going into the night is doable. I think I've got one other person interested so far, but I'm expecting to have to post around a bunch over the next few weeks and have some discord meetups before we all settle on something that works out.
Hey MANDERSON,     This is something I've been interested in as a DM and a player for a long time. I'd love to chat a bit more about what you had in mind for the campaign! Feel free to PM me here on Roll20, or shoot me a message via Discord @ Finn#7016.
MANDERSON said: Hey Steeve! Not before Sat 9:30PM EST is the real constraint for me... but starting later and going into the night is doable. I think I've got one other person interested so far, but I'm expecting to have to post around a bunch over the next few weeks and have some discord meetups before we all settle on something that works out. Sounds good. Add me on discord: Steeve#9688
I'll follow up with you two this week. We're still looking for more people who may be interested - so post if you are.  I'm looking forward to some really fun gaming!
I'm not the most experienced gamer but I'm much more interested in building my character and fleshing out his story than any game thus far has allowed.  This sounds amazing to me!
Hey Justin, it sounds like you're looking for the same things I am. I wouldn't worry about "skill" st role playing.. if you're willing to put in effort and are thoughtful about the game and your characters story, that's an awesome starting point.

Edited 1512494392
Hey guys, I got to this post via FullstackGamer(TY Fullstack). This sounds exactly what I am looking for too. Please keep me in the loop if we plan a meet and greet etc. Resume: I am 52 years old and a gamer/role player of 38 years since the near dawn of RPG gaming. I am full immersion role player meaning voice, emotion, body language and personality(Acting)
I would definitely be interested in this type of campaign! I'm 24 female, free on saturdays and very much into roleplaying aspect of D&D. Been playing 5e for a little over a year, (Originally came from pathfinder) but I've done rping events in other games, ect for years. If you still have room for players I would love to be included.
Hey! PM your discord username to me and I'll add you on my friends list. I'll be reaching out a bit later this week and we'll start talking through everything.
This sounds like just the sort of thing I'd be interested in. I've been roleplaying for 22 years (36 year old female) and have been mostly behind the GM screen for the past 2—I've never played online before, though. I'm free on Saturday nights and would love to join in. I'm very RP oriented (I usually play a dwarven ranger, so you can tell I'm not a min-maxer :D). I love to feel immersed in the campaign world and to be part of a cohesive party. Combat is great fun, but I'm not a murder hobo. I'd rather focus on interacting with the world around me and developing bonds with my fellow PCs and NPCs than killing that poor shopkeeper and taking his stuff or stabbing party members in the back. I've been a Roll20 member for several years, but I'm just now working up the nerve to try to find a friendly, fun, fairly mature group of fellow players looking to craft a great story. You sound like my kind of people! :)
Hey this sounds great to me too, have been Dming way too long and would be nice to just play 
Great! I'm going to start reaching out to people tomorrow and Thursday evening - and will keep things going from there. If I don't catch up with you right away, don't worry I'll keep checking. If you haven't already, please send me your discord username (got your's Eva - Amanda/SWADE can you send yours over?)/ Thanks!
I've had a few conversations. Will be looking for people on discord tomorrow to chat. If you're just seeing this, go ahead and reach out. We haven't finalized things yet.
I would love to join if you are still looking for players, you can add me on discord and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.  You can add me at Frogger#6485
I've sent an application via PM!
Hmmm... I'm not seeing one on discord or roll 20, perhaps you could whisper me your discord info and I can try adding you?
So, just to provide more context about what's going on with this: I'm reaching out to everyone on Discord. I'd like to voice/video chat with each of you who apply, and go through those awkward moments of getting to know each other. It is awkward, but that's ok. My goal is to build a group that will get along, and really put a focus on having fun and acting a role. Once I've got the base group going - we're going to have a house rule that no one joins the group without meeting with us and everyone ok-ing the addition, and I want everyone to take that part seriously, as it's how we end up getting what we all want. Also - just FYI between this post and some reddit advertising i've gotten 10+ people interested - but this isn't first come first serve. It's best fit gets in. And... if there are more people that fit than we have room for, I'd be willing to assist in helping spin off other groups as well - so don't be shy about reaching out if you're really up for this. And webcams are good. If you can get one you should. RPGs are way better when you can see the people you're playing with. Also - i play on fridays with a group of RL friends. We're a bit more on the jokes and goofy side because its all RL friends and that's how we interact (and also why I want to go for something a bit deeper in the rp side of things)&nbsp; - but you can see here a bit of how much effort I like to put into my groups: <a href="http://baldurs.company" rel="nofollow">http://baldurs.company</a>
I just saw your /r/lfg post and wanted to swing by to say I am really interested in a group like this!&nbsp; I'll PM you my discord!