Memory Modification - Leo's Bots and Vyortovia/Iceland [Background] [Prep]

1514919483
I'm splitting this off from the Bot Guide thread because it might be relevant to other stuff. Here's a diagram for the tracks of memory that Leo's bots have: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9QsrgMsPMm3iBbfz2 Prior to their creation, Otto and Pneuma have "synthetic" memories - stuff that lives in their brain, but doesn't align to reality. There wasn't "really" a young Pneuma, shyly watching Leo growing up from next door, but that's how she remembers it. Past their origin are "authentic" memories - those acquired by experience. Pneuma and Numina share all their synthetic, and almost all of their authentic, memories, but have a couple (crucial) days of divergence. So what about Vyortovia and Iceland? What is the HHL doing? We don't know for sure yet, but basically it sounds like they're inserting stand-alone synthetic memories into the population. If that's a mixture of super-science and magic, then you can just handwave and say "it happens" rather than try to explain the mechanics. But earlier, I was hoping for a way to either block out or trace the effect, and this means it's at least possible. Tracing or shielding aside, there's the question of how we as a team ought to respond to this. There's a range of options ("They Live" ending where we blow up the transmitter; sunglasses-equivalent to select people so they can learn the truth; shame the HHL into undoing it themselves; leave it in place). Leo, personally, is very unhappy that every adult in the last few days seems okay with messing with peoples' understanding of what's real, though. Rosa Rook, Rossum, the HHL, but also AEGIS with their fake press conference.
1514921442
Doyce T.
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G. said: So what about Vyortovia and Iceland? What is the HHL doing? We don't know for sure yet, but basically it sounds like they're inserting stand-alone synthetic memories into the population. If that's a mixture of super-science and magic, then you can just handwave and say "it happens" rather than try to explain the mechanics. But earlier, I was hoping for a way to either block out or trace the effect, and this means it's at least possible. An unforeseen affect of Ghost Girl's mindlink is that it's apparently insulated you guys from whatever the HHL is doing, so blocking it IS possible, at least on the small scale. It's a mix of that, probably some hyper-tech mixed in, and the HHL just screwing with databases worldwide. Blockable, yes, though maybe there's more drama mileage in shaming the HHL into stopping it. Leo, personally, is very unhappy that every adult in the last few days seems okay with messing with peoples' understanding of what's real, though.
1514921990
Doyce T. said: Leo:
Bill G. said: Leo, personally, is very unhappy that every adult in the last few days seems okay with messing with peoples' understanding of what's real, though. Rosa Rook, Rossum, the HHL, but also AEGIS with their fake press conference. Honestly, Jason is mixed, but he comes from a more public life. He understands PR, even if he has mixed feelings about it. The AEGIS action surprised him, and he was a bit taken aback by how practiced they were about it, but he also recognized the high level advantages to the team for it and as long as there seemed to be action or attention toward Rook... well, that all got distracted in his head, but he could see the why's and wherefores.  Covering up the disappearing of Iceland's population, esp for self-serving purposes... not so much. 
1516292168

Edited 1516292223
Doyce T.
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G. said: I'm splitting this off from the Bot Guide thread because it might be relevant to other stuff. Here's a diagram for the tracks of memory that Leo's bots have: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9QsrgMsPMm3iBbfz2 Where's SNOWMAN on this chart? Post-Otto, Pre-Pneuma? Also, if SNOWMAN is something that has only ever been in PMs, and no one else knows WTF I'm talking about, pretend you didn't see this. *waves hand*
1516314956

Edited 1516314995
Mike
Pro
Doyce T. said: Also, if SNOWMAN is something that has only ever been in PMs, and no one else knows WTF I'm talking about, pretend you didn't see this. *waves hand* Wiki magic , Doyce.   Wiki magic .  We know about it. Per the timeline, SNOWMAN happened after Pneuma was built but before the current day.