Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Add "Visible to" option to tokens

Edited 1390211155
Hiding stuff on GM layer works well on most situations but every now and then we have a situation where some PCs can see something but some can't and I as a GM have to choose whether to show it to all players. If tokens would have an option for who can see it, this wouldn't be a problem. This could be in the same form that "Can edit" is. You could for example properly represent a situation where an enemy is invisible but one PC has see invisibility. The controller of that PC would actually have to try to verbally give directions/guide to the other players/PCs. The most common situation where this would come in handy for me is in campaigns that are in Warhammer world and there is a PC with witch-sight (skill magical sense) in the party. In many occasions these PCs don't want to tell what they "sense" or at least leave something out. Nowadays I use private messages through Steam to describe additional information but most of the information could easily be included on the Roll20 page if I could manage who can see and what.
+1
+1 I ran into a perfect use for this yesterday... I had two players, each with a small 'army' of tokens, in combat with one another. One side used Stealth to hide from the other side. It was a simple matter to mark each token as "Stealth: 34" or whatever, but both sides could still see each token. And, no matter how hard you try, psychologically it's impossible to really disbelieve that you can tell where those tokens are. The players did their best pretending, but still... no enemy token moved to somewhere it would have been threatened by an 'invisible' token. Subconsciously, the players still took the positions of pieces they pretended to not see into account. Had it been possible to truly hide the tokens from the opposing player, battle would have gone somewhat differently. So, yes, please... this simple tag "Visible To..." would be a game-changer! Please implement it!!
Phnord Prephect said: +1 I ran into a perfect use for this yesterday... I had two players, each with a small 'army' of tokens, in combat with one another. One side used Stealth to hide from the other side. It was a simple matter to mark each token as "Stealth: 34" or whatever, but both sides could still see each token. And, no matter how hard you try, psychologically it's impossible to really disbelieve that you can tell where those tokens are. The players did their best pretending, but still... no enemy token moved to somewhere it would have been threatened by an 'invisible' token. Subconsciously, the players still took the positions of pieces they pretended to not see into account. Had it been possible to truly hide the tokens from the opposing player, battle would have gone somewhat differently. So, yes, please... this simple tag "Visible To..." would be a game-changer! Please implement it!! Good example, thanks for it.