Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Making tokens visible only to a select list of players (without API scripts or granting token control)

Edited 1516085380
N.
Pro
More precise GM control over which players can see an exclusively GM-controlled token has to be a highly desired feature for fantasy games featuring supernatural or paranormal phenomena or science-fiction games where organic abilities or special technology allow detection of normally invisible beings or objects. To bolster the case, it seems like the sort of thing that would come up inevitably in many, if not most, such games in those genres, so, if it's at all technically feasible to implement, it appears less than optimal to restrict that option to the minority of subscribers that can afford to use API scripts... though, in fairness, depending on how the back end handles token visibility vis-à-vis the existing layers, I can guess at how the feature might be more difficult to add than I'd otherwise think. (Just to cover the usual suggestions, right now, I'm using shared control of transparent tokens plus limited-view auras per a few forums posts, but, even putting aside how boring those auras look vs. my own tokens—I'd generally want the look of invisible-monster tokens to scare the pants off a player when their PC slips on their "ghost goggles" and a K-horror-style undead suddenly appears before them!—it can get hairy for players granted control over the tokens to e.g. avoid sliding those "visible to me, not to others" pieces around by accident with their mouse clicks/drags/movement keys when the party is exploring a dark, spooky, tightly enclosed space, someplace where significant numbers of mobile, invisible whatsits mingle with the party on the map and the need for line-of-sight means I can't use dynamic-lighting boxes to restrict token movement without giving things away... really, there are few better situations in which to use invisible things to dramatic or frightening effect, especially when those who can see them have a combat advantage!) E: If it's something that can be added, I'd imagine this feature being implemented as another suggested-search field in a token's settings window where "can see" players can be added and dropped. Thanks.
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Nick. There are quite a few Suggestion threads with similar ideas. Here is a link to the leading thread with the most Popular votes. If you find it is a match for your Suggestion, you can transfer your +1 vote and copy your Comments over: Add a "seen by" drop down to Tokens.
Cool, I appreciate it.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .