Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e Shaped Grapple Escape DC

I'm a player looking at trying to make a non-API macro that will let players/gm roll an Escape Grapple Check (Your choice of  Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) ). And I'm not too sure how to set that up in the sheet (if its possible). The item is the Kuo-toa Whip's weapon  Pincer Staff and would be placed in the weapons description template.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm not sure a universal macro is possible. Due to technical mumbo jumbo, the order of skills on a character sheet is not uniform, but because they are repeating fields, they are referred to by position. So if you come up with a macro that references Athletics on some characters, it might reference Animal Handling on another. This is my understanding anyway. If someone were to come along and tell me I'm wrong and show me how to do it, that would be sweet, because there are a lot of use cases.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The order will be the same for all sheets unless they have been manually modified. So @{NAME|repeating_skill_$0_roll} will generally roll acrobatics and @{NAME|repeating_skill_$3_roll} will generally roll athletics. Adjust the numbers if the skills have been modified. An easier setup is to use the Shaped script and use the abilities macro and then the chat gives you all the options and the GM selects the right one. That's the method I use as a GM.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's also the method I use. You (Kryx) gave me the tip on how to fix the order by deleting and re-generating the skills on several characters who had that problem, but I can't remember what the cause was. I don't think it was a manual modification, though I wouldn't put it past the players in my campaign to have accidentally mucked with them. GayKiwi, there are some great ability macros that Shaped gives you. I keep buttons that call up the full chat character, or shorter ones for spells, attacks/offense, and skills. The wiki has a lot more detail.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Skills can generate out of order, occasionally. It's generally rare, but it does occur due to some timing issues which aren't possible to solve without significantly slowing down the sheet's initialization. Occasionally a skill won't appear in the list as well.
Not sure how to use the API to generate skills, Ive never used it and only recently discovered it was even there. And Im having to bug the macro listed above as it doesn't work with @{selected|repeating_skill_$3_roll} Does Generate Skills fix both of those problems Kryx (out of order skill generating and skill not visible) problems?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sorry, those @ symbols should be % symbols.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Though again I'd recommend exploring the script options for token macros which output the options to chat - waaaay easier than this option you're looking at.