Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for 1 - 2 Players for a D&D 4e Campaign (Fridays at 8 pm EST using Skype and roll20)

Edited 1516923920
As the topic suggests, I am DMing a 4th edition campaign that has been ongoing for the past five years. We've had players come and players go in that time so now we are looking for a few more again. Although I admit to using premade modules, often it is just a baseline to work with. Just because you may have played the module I'm running, doesn't mean it will be the exact same game as written. We use skype for voice chat and roll20 for everything else. The game usually runs from roughly 8 pm EST to 11 pm give or take an hour. When the game began, the setting was loosely based in the Nentir Vale (aka generic fantasy setting) but planar travel is now in effect since we have hit epic level. I won't restrict you too much regarding your origins (see details in character creation layout). As far as the current party goes, it consists of a human fighter/paladin, a dragonborn blackguard, a goliath Fighter, a tiefling psion and a small army of combat npcs to fill out the ranks. Obviously the group is very melee heavy at this point but if you write up an interesting character, I can use the npcs to balance out any shortcomings in group layout. Finally, this will not be first come, first served. I plan to close applications by the last friday in January (1/26) and make my final choices over the weekend. Edit: I am extending the date by another week. Feb 2nd is the new cut off date. House Rules New Players will be starting at Level 20 with the standard loot rules (one free level 21, level 20 and level 19 item and 105,000 gold) and using a 22 point buy for initial stats. Since I understand that it takes time make an epic level character, I won't demand that you have a sheet ready by the cut off date. It would be nice but I am more interested in your character's story. Roleplay Bonus: If you take the time and effort to describe what your character is doing whenever you have to roll dice (this includes inside combat or outside of combat), you may earn a bonus to that dice roll. In most cases, it will be a +2 bonus but if you truly impress it can go to a +5 bonus. Simply saying "Thrug the Barbarian uses Melee Basic Attack" will not earn you any bonus. A better example would be "Thrug holds his axe low to the ground and he swings up trying to slice past his foe's defenses." Roleplay bonuses stack with any other bonuses you receive. Critical Failure: Crit Fails are very much in effect. They swing both ways for the heroes and the enemies. If you roll a natural 1, I will as you to call out Odd or Even then I will roll a 1d100 dice. If you get it right, then you only messed up with whatever you were doing. If you get it wrong, something else happens as well such as your weapon suddenly flying out of your hands and across the battlefield. Feats: All characters receive Improved Defenses and one Expertise feat of their choice for free. These two feats will not count towards their total feats. Alignment: NO EVIL CHARACTERS! This is the one and only hard line in the sand for me. Even our blackguard is more anti-hero than evil. Good or neutral characters only. This is more or less a hero game and I shouldn't have to pull out a cattle prod to make your character do the right thing every once in awhile. Background and Theme bonuses are allowed however I stress that they should match the backstory of your character. If you choose the background bonus of merchant, your character's past should mention that they were a merchant at some point. Themes are hard to mesh so I'll give a lot of more leeway with them just so long as I don't have to make Grand Canyon sized logic jumps to see how they connect with your character's storyline. Be Flexable: Sometimes a player may come up with a good idea that doesn't entirely work within the ruleset. If it is interesting enough, I might just try to find a work around. Sometimes, I find or come up with a variant rule that might work for an arc I have in mind. For example, in a tournament arc we finished awhile ago, I added Crowd Bonus to the situational modifiers. It was important to cater to the crowd at times and not ignore them. Character Creation Layout Name: (This should be self-explanatory) Gender: (male or female. Even warforged are modeled after humanoid figures) Age: (10 year old natural born characters need not apply) Race::(Human, Elf, Dragonborn, etc) Base Class: Paragon Path: (You are more than a mere wet behind the ears adventurer) Epic Destiny: (...and soon the entire multiverse will know it) Alignment: (Evil characters will be annihilated upon entry) Physical Appearance: (Describe what your character looks like) Personality: (What is your character like as a person? Do they have dreams or goals? How do they get along with others? What do they like or dislike?) Background: (This will be the meat of your application. Here is a hint: I LOVE NOVELS. There is never such a thing as too long with me. As I mentioned previously, the setting is loosely based in the Nentir Vale but I have no qualms about players coming up with their own hometowns and eventually ending up in the area that the main campaign takes place. Furthermore, since the party has set up a base of operations in Sigil (A city between realities that can literally have a door leading to anywhere), being born in another plane is a reasonable choice for origins.Tell me about where they were born. Did they have any family, friends, mentors in their life? How was their childhood? Teenage years? Adulthood? Why did they choose to become the Class type that they are? Why do they use the weapons that they own? Since they are not new adventurers, what have they done in the past to gain this worldly experience/knowledge? Ultimately, the background should end with your character arriving (or if you prefer living in) Sigil. The city of doors has been the same as always, chaotic but controlled. While you do hear about the occasional brawl in the street, stampeding elementals or someone getting killed in a dark alleyway, no one sane ever escalates things into a city wide problem. This is all because of the Lady of Pain, the one and only deity in the city. Everyone is well aware that if you cause a massive amount of trouble in Sigil, the Lady of Pain will punish you and everyone related to you that she can find in her city. Thus, Angels and Demons will walk the streets without trying to kill one another...though they may glare and curse each other out. While most people living here like to just follow their personal routine, there are still those who take on more risky endeavors. Over two months ago, a group of adventurers arrived in Sigil from one of the material planes. They built up a positive relationship with the Trade Consortium, the largest merchant organization in the city, by stopping a madman trying to poison the city's food supply. Furthermore, they participated in the yearly Festival of Doors (A week long celebration with various contests of strength, charisma and mental fortitude). These adventurers made names for themselves by winning or placing high in most of the events. Finally, they built a guild hall within the city itself. As for the purpose of their guild, the jury is still out on that one. Many claim that just did it because they could. Others point out the fact that these adventurers seem to be at odds with the Cult of Orcus, god of the undead. The cultists have been circulating wanted posters for these adventurers but so far no one has been able to collect on them. In response, the adventurers have been more active in destroying cultist camps back in their world. Some say, it was for humanitarian reasons. The guild doesn't seem to discriminate and has even recruited more monstrous creatures into their fold. For example, a large contingent of goblins have joined the guild without too much trouble. Regardless, you have decided to throw your lot in with these adventurers rather than go with any other group in the city. Whether they were your first choice or your last, this is where your fate has brought you. If you have any questions or want some of the plotpoints explained in more detail, let me know.
Gah. :) I like 4E but not sure if I'm up for starting at epic...let me dust off my old books, take a look, and see if I can remember the rules LOL.
Bumping the topic
Not gonna lie, if you played for more than 3 hours and didn't use crit fail rules I would be tempted.  Seems pretty decent overall.  Good luck.
bumping
For Great Justice!
Hi. A friend and I are interested in joining, but neither of us have played 4th before (I played like three sessions with a really shitty DM that wouldn't even let us look at the rulebooks, so it doesn't really count). I recently started reading the 4e books (after playing and DMing 5th for a while, so while I'm new to 4th, I'm accustomed to D&D in general) so I have a general idea about how to play and make a character, but I'm still incredibly new. Is that okay with you, or would you rather not have to show a couple of newbies the ropes?
I don't have any problems with newcomers though it might take a bit of time to build up a 20 level character. If you don't have a problem with that, I'm willing to work with you.
Awesome! I don't have any problems with building characters (in fact, its one of my favorite parts). I was thinking of making an Eladrin Swordmage, though I can totally play a leader (maybe a Shaman) if you guys want me to though. Do you have a Discord or Skype I can contact you on?
Also, I can't find the Improved Defenses feat or any feat with the word "Expertise" in it. What book is it from? I have PHB 1, 2, and 3, and the Forgotten Reams Guide.
I'm interested. I sent you a PM with my information. Please let me know. Thanks!