Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Advanced FoW and Dynamic Lighting Question

So I've been fiddling around with these, and while they are awesome concepts, I don't get whats to just stop a players from moving their tokens real quick through the whole map and basically revealing everything? Do you just dynamic lighting the crap out of it? Sorry, I'm a bit new here and I'm messing around with it quite a bit.  Seems to me like it looks pretty, but just regular FoW would be the best way to go and reveal the map to the players as you go?
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
yep, and get rid of players that ruin the fun for everyone.

Edited 1517868499
There is an API that lets you lock token movement (It's called Tokenlock, iirc, oddly enough) if you're worried about players "flashlighting" the whole map on you.  But like Heinrich said, you can always kick players that insist on doing that. Edit: Enforce line of sight, restrict movement, and only update on token drop also help limit the possibility of that behavior.

Edited 1517891483
You can also use regular Fog of War in conjunction with Dynamic Lighting, though it means more work for the GM. Dynamic Lighting is useful for determining who can see what.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I use a combination of social interactions and a sin bin page to limit this, the same as I do for perpetual scribblers. First off, talk to your group. For the most part they should be understanding enough to realise that a DM puts a LOT of work into a game and if they are ruining your fun then you'll simply stop providing theirs, either by booting the individual or just plain walking away from the group (extreme example but you get the gist). Repeat offenders then get sin binned, in other words their avatar is dropped onto a special 're-education page' set up as a plain black void with big white letters that spell out the days lesson (DON'T SCRIBBLE ON MY MAPS or CHEATERS WILL BE PROSECUTED  or METAGAMING IS 'MY' JOB). One they've learned their lesson they can come back ;)