Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

As GM , Playing delayed / not continuos , roleplaying in turns

Greetings, I have been wanting to play/gm an adventure for over a decade time now, but due to lack of time i never got around doing it. I have children now  and recently moved city and job, in short, lots of stuff to do and little free time. I work currently in an office, and in my line of work (8-16) i have some intervals during my assignements , for example after two hours work , i may have 20 minutes "free" which i spend sorting thru emails or less tedius tasks , perhaps somdays abit more, some days none at all. So here comes my question: Is it possible for me to GM an adventure? It would be on the lines of play-by-email or play-by-post, if you know what i mean , where i write down whats going on, and wait for the players to do their actions, and the next time i have a "free" time during work, i can continue and go on. Sort of a "delayed" style of play I hope i made myself understood. Is something like this be possible? Does the browser have to be open at all times, or i can close and re open it (wil the players get booted?) Thanks for your time
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
PbP, text only and asynchronous play is totally possible via roll20, there is even a  group you could join that is dedicated to these types of play. You would need to decide on your best course of action but each game you create has their own set of private forums which could be utilised to record the actual play and the VTT itself could be used for rolls, OoC stuff and map display/character sheets/handouts etc. This setup works well due to the fact that the forum posts can be edited where as the chat in the VTT cannot. The VTT itself doesn't require an active GM signed in to function, as long as your players have permission to join (via a link you send) they can log in and out as needed to do what needs doing... all they'd need is a web browser :)
Well that seems to have pretty much answered my post!  I applied now to join the group , and ill take it from there You have my gratitude