Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copying and moving a large number of tokens not working

I'm currently the administer for a living world campaign.  I've been trying to set up prebuilt encounters for any of my GMs to pick up and run for our players.  The way I'm doing this is by basically creating the entire encounter, and then putting all of the monster/npc tokens into the GM layer as a 'backup'.  The idea is that a GM would copy all of the tokens and paste them into the token layer while leaving the backup in the GM layer. The problem I'm running into is in that copy and paste step.  When I copy all of the tokens on the GM layer, then move to the token layer and paste, the alignment of the tokens gets all screwed up.  It doesn't even screw the alignment up the same way every time.  For instance, I have 2 tokens used as markers in the upper left and lower right corner to help with alignment.  When I paste it in, these aren't aligning to the corners (if I get one into the top left corner, the one in the bottom right will be way off) nor will they even snap to grid sometimes.  Or I have a group of four tokens in a square that are roughly in the center and when I paste it in, they are in a line rather than a square. Is there just some limitation to Roll20's ability to select multiple tokens at once?  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Have you tried grouping them before copying?  Then shift, paste, adjust position, and ungroup?  Also, when the set of images is pasted, the set will be centered where you right click.  In my experiments, if I click too far to one side, images that might otherwise be off the map get rearranged.

Edited 1518270323
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Instead of copy-pasting, on the GM layer select all the tokens you wish to move to the token layer, then right-click one of the tokens and choose Layer>Objects & Tokens This should smoothly move all selected tokens to that layer (I just tested and it worked for me)
You can also use the advanced shortcuts ( <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Shortcuts" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Shortcuts</a>). Use `k` to switch to GM layer, then `lm` to move all selected tokens to the token layer. It's the fastest way, I think.
Valerie M. said: Have you tried grouping them before copying?&nbsp; Then shift, paste, adjust position, and ungroup?&nbsp; Also, when the set of images is pasted, the set will be centered where you right click.&nbsp; In my experiments, if I click too far to one side, images that might otherwise be off the map get rearranged. When I group them, copy, move, then paste it will ungroup them for me.&nbsp; The fact that I'm using markers in the corners might be what's causing some of the rearrangement (unless I click dead center on the map, there will at least be one of the alignment markers will be off of the map).&nbsp; I'll try removing them and then see how that helps. GenKitty said: Instead of copy-pasting, on the GM layer select all the tokens you wish to move to the token layer, then right-click one of the tokens and choose Layer&gt;Objects & Tokens This should smoothly move all selected tokens to that layer (I just tested and it worked for me) I still need the tokens to remain on the GM layer in the position that they were pre-arranged. This way my other GMs will know where the monsters are set up when they reset the encounter for the next GM. I did try doing this and then pasting the copies in the GM layer and it seemed to work better (not as many tokens got rearranged).