Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

trying to change color macro shows up as in chat.

so i have a macro that i'm wanting to use, problem is, a lot of people on the discord server i play on use the same macro, and it only comes up one color in the chat, which can be really confusing unless the GM is really paying attention to WHO is rolling WHAT, and it has lead to rolls being missed a few times in the past. i've been wracking my brain trying to figure out a way to change the colors that show in the chat that way it will at least break up the monotony of single color macros in chat. below is said macro (this particular one is built for Pathfinder skill checks): /me &{template:default} {{name=Skillz}} {{check=?{Skill| Acrobatics,Acrobatics = [[1d20+3| Appraise,Appraise = [[1d20+4| Alchemy, Alchemy= [[d20+19| Bluff,Bluff = [[1d20+13| Climb,Climb = [[1d20+-3| Caster,Concetration Check= [[d20+4+4| Craft,Craft(Alchemy) = [[1d20+19| Diplomacy,Diplomacy = [[1d20+13| Disguise,Disguise = [[1d20-2| Escape Artist,Escape Artist = [[1d20-3| Fly,Fly = [[1d20-3| Heal,Heal = [[1d20+1| Handle Animal,Handle Animal = [[1d20+0| Intimidate,Intimidate = [[1d20+0| KN:arcana,KN:Arcana = [[1d20+14| KN:planes,KN:Planes = [[1d20+13| KN:religion,KN:Religion = [[1d20+14| KN:dungeoneering,KN:dungeneering = [[1d20+14| KN:Drugs, KN:Lore(Drugs) = [[1d20+13| KN. nature, KN: nature=[[d20+5| KN:Untrained,KN:Untrained = [[1d20+5| Lingustic, Linguistic = [[d20+4]]| Perception,Perception = [[1d20+10| Perform,Perform = [[1d20+-1| Profession, Profession(Warden) = [[d20+0| Ride,Ride = [[1d20-3| Sense Motive,Sense Motive = [[1d20+10| Sleight of Hand,Sleight of Hand = [[1d20-1| Stealth,Stealth = [[1d20-2| Survival,Survival = [[1d20+10| Spellcraft,Spellcraft=[[d20+14| Swim,Swim = [[1d20-3| Use Magic Device, UMD(untrained) = [[d20+0| Fort, Fortitude Save = [[d20+6| Reflex, Reflex Save = [[d20+4| Will, Will Save = [[d20+8 }+?{extra|0}]] }} any ideas of things to try are welcome, as i've already exhausted my limited knowledge of macros, and my knowledge of HTML/CSS trying 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Short of using an API Script (requires the Game Creator to be an active Pro Subscriber) or a Custom Roll Template (as part of a character sheet or custom character sheet (Pro Subscriber)), the best option I can think of would be to have a border image at the top in a particular color, something like: [x](<a href="https://orig00.deviantart.net/3608/f/2013/272/e/a/wavy_line_png_by_maddielovesselly-d6ohkbm.png" rel="nofollow">https://orig00.deviantart.net/3608/f/2013/272/e/a/wavy_line_png_by_maddielovesselly-d6ohkbm.png</a>)
would it be possible to just straight up build an HTML table for it? or is pure HTML disabled?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You'd need access to the API for that.&nbsp; Or a Custom Character Sheet where you could implement a Custom Roll Template.
AHHHHHH, so THAT'S why my HTML coding kept just straight disappearing. that makes sense now. Thanks Aaron! tis a shame that short of having API experience and a pro membership that you can't change something as basic as a macro style

Edited 1518248596
The formatting gets a little screwy (the characters are slightly raised), but you can enclose your rolls in double tildes&nbsp;&nbsp; ( ``[[ stuff to roll]]``) to make it be treated as as piece of code, making it red text with a white background. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Basic_Formatting" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Basic_Formatting</a> I've also always made a point of using ASCII / Unicode characters to separate text in a graphical way. ►&nbsp; ◄&nbsp; ✪ ♦&nbsp; • ♡ , etc...
MarkOfTheDragon said: you can enclose your rolls in double tildes&nbsp;&nbsp; ( ``[[ stuff to roll]]``) to make it be treated as as piece of code, making it red text with a white background. I never new this, thank you. When I copied the markdown info from the wiki into my lengthy Tech Notes handout ages ago, that part must not have been in there or for some reason it didn't get copied over. It's in there now!
Another thing you can try is use different templates from different character sheets to see how the formating comes out...amd example &{template:default} {{name=END OF TURN}} &{template:traits} {{name=END OF TURN}} &{template:simple} {{rname=END OF TURN}} &{template:npcaction} {{name=END OF TURN}} Each one gives a different format and I believe the rname one allows you to specify different background colors but that is above my paygrade at this point :D
Elbuort|TAW said: Another thing you can try is use different templates from different character sheets to see how the formating comes out. You state it is for Pathfinder skill checks, I am assuming a Pathfinder sheet which has it's own&nbsp; templates , but which&nbsp;sheet are you using for the game in question, Tdog?

Edited 1518305523
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Besides the default template, you can only use the templates that come with your particular sheet.&nbsp; Which sheet are you using? If this is the regular pathfinder sheet, I would recommend using the "All Skills" chat menu button use from the sheet, drag/drop to the quickbar, or just make a macro that includes the button's name "%{selected|skills}".&nbsp; Doing so, whispers a menu of skills that only you can see then you simply choose the skill you want to roll. You can also choose a custom color for your macros in the sheet's settings.
my particular table is just using the pathfinder sheet, no custom shits, but i (along with other players on the server) use the same macro style across multiple tables, and afaik, all of them just use the pathfinder as default. i personally dont use the sheets on the tables for anything other than to hold my token and character's name. its just easier for me to use a P&P copy, with building macros for the rolls i need.
Tdog, which image looks like your sheet? Pathfinder Pathfinder (Legacy Layout) Pathfinder (Simple) In order for you to use any specialized templates that are free to use, simply by having a particular sheet used in the game you roll in, we need to know which sheet to supply the information for. The template Vince suggested using is available to anyone in a game that uses that sheet. At least one of the above sheets allows you to change the header color, inside your macro.
i believe it is the first image chris. i know the table that im a player for strange aeons on doesnt use any of those sheets from what i can tell, so i cant really tell. but i've switched to using &{template:pf_generic} instead of &{template:default} and it seems to be working just fine
You should be able to add {{color=color goes here}} You can use white, grey, darkgrey, pink, darkpink, red, darkred, orange, darkorange, yellow, darkyellow, green, darkgreen, teal, darkteal, cyan, darkcyan, azure, darkazure, blue, darkblue, purple, darkpurple, violet, darkviolet. An empty value(no color specified) will default to "black".
I have a bunch of examples over at <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros/Pathfinder_Examples" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros/Pathfinder_Examples</a>... of how to use the Pathfinder sheet's templates to make your own unique macros. Towards the bottom is an "All_Skills" example that has unique formatting that I think you will find useful
that actually did work chris. i appreciate that!

Edited 1518381872
now i just need to figure out how to adjust that particular macro for attacks such as rapid shot so it doesn't have to be clicked twice to get both rolls, and damage (to separate out damage types for attacks that have multiple damage types)
Even if you don't keep any of the info on your sheets, you can still use the pathfinder sheet templates for your attack / damage/ crit confirm / etc rolls. The simplified general format(without a lot of the sheet references that you won't be using) is: &{template:pf_attack} {{name=Text in Header Bar}} {{color=ColorOfTheHeaderBar}} {{attack=[[What you roll for attack]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[What you roll for damage]]}} {{crit_confirm=[[What you roll for to confirm a crit]] vs AC}} {{crit_damage=[[What you roll for additional crit damage]]}} You can have 8+ attacks or so&nbsp; I think.&nbsp; Just add another set to attack/damage/crit_confirm/crit_damage&nbsp; for each one, increment by 1 attack= attack1= attack2= attack3= ... You can use a roll query instead of statically entering your attack and damage numbers into the macro (which can be a pain to edit later) 1d20+?{Attack Mod}&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (Example value would be a "0" to roll 1d20+0) ?{damage roll}&nbsp; (Example value would be a "1d8+3" to roll just that) You can get a lot more complicated and elegant with it, but this is a pretty straight-forward setup.