Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

API Restart Button located in-Game (the Settings Panel)

Edited 1518367473
Sometimes the API crashes during a game, or between games. The GM cannot restart the sandbox from inside the game application, but must wander away to the API area of the main website to check its status or restart it. The rationale for this suggestion is to lower the bar for first-time API users, so I'd prefer the solution not involve the need to install additional API. I'd like to make the API more usable within the context of in-game UI. I'd like to see two API buttons inside the game , where a GM can Ping the API to check its status, and Refresh the API sandbox. For new GMs who are learning all the UI bits, or new Pro subscribers being coached step-by-step through API usage, this will be a big help. *Note: I'm not asking for the ability to manipulate the API scripts or to add new API from in-game. Just to fire it up if scripts are present.
If you need to restart the API ingame so often that you want to a restart button ingame, you might want to fix your scripts ;) I personally feel like there is no need to for a button ingame.
There are some scripts out there that are not well behaved but are still useful for some situations.  Then the more scripts you run, though stable to a point, become unstable when mixed with other scripts.  For those times I just leave the game page open to the API and restart it as necessary.  A button on in the VTT would be nice, I agree Chris. There is a script out there that will give a heartbeat to the API to see if it is still running I believe. I've never used it but when the API is not working it becomes evident fast. 
Nico said: If you need to restart the API ingame so often that you want to a restart button ingame, you might want to fix your scripts ;) I personally feel like there is no need to for a button ingame.  I'm always bummed out by "you must be a dumbass" responses. As it happens, there are a number of scenarios when the script sandbox might be tripped and need to be restarted. For example, if players are making a bunch of changes to their character sheets (i.e. when leveling up or setting up a character for the first time), they might enter something invalid that trips one of the OGL scripts. Also, if you're using a module that's received an update... The whole idea of my request is to help new GMs who are probably only using the Roll20 Library. Either way, an in-game button makes a lot of sense.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You might be interested in Aaron's  APIHeartBeat script just to help show you api status in-game.
Vince said: You might be interested in Aaron's  APIHeartBeat script just to help show you api status in-game. Thanks for the tip, Vince. APIHeartBeat is a great workaround (that I use). Heartbeat demonstrates the importance of my suggestion (as does the "you must be a bad scripter" response). I communicated my suggestion poorly. The purpose of my suggestion is to make API use more intuitive for new Pro users. A new Pro user assumes their in-game functionality will be managed in-game. Using Core API should not be a scavenger hunt requiring even more add-ons and special knowledge, or scripting ability. A new Pro user shouldn't have to search the forums for a tool that tells them if the API is working in their game, and they should not have to leave their game to toggle on/off the API. Most people become Pro users because they want certain cool features (like Ammo tracking and FX) in their games -- not because they want to be scripters. The best thing Roll20 can do at this stage of development is go the last mile and make sure that ANYONE with a Pro Account can easily use the core API in their games. For me, this means setting the mission-critical API features into the game UI. With the Roll20 Script Library, the more powerful game-creation process and module integration, we're nearly there. My suggestion is a small step in that direction.
Nico said: If you need to restart the API ingame so often that you want to a restart button ingame, you might want to fix your scripts ;) I personally feel like there is no need to for a button ingame. I find the API to be somewhat unstable and the idea of button under "settings" most welcome. 
This would be handy!  I think the ideal case would be a message whispered to the GM in the chat log indicating that the sandbox has crashed/found an infinite loop and a 'click here' to restart
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .