Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token "slides" on map

I have been playing with the Tomb Annihilation module and this past game had a weird issue.  On the player and DM hex maps of Chult, the tokens seem to slide from where I put them.  I ended up just drawing the marker on the map to keep the game rolling.  But I don't understand why it slides. This is using the "party" icons from the top right corner. Here is what I have tried... 1) I shut down all addons in Chrome (my normal browser) and it still slides. 2) I opened the game in Firefox and it does the same thing.  (Fresh install, no addons) 3) I tried a different hex token from the art library and it slides. (Token needed to be scaled down to fit a square) 4) I tried Edge *shudders* with same result. 5) I built a new game with the hex layout the same as these maps and it seems to have no issue.   6) If I increase the size of the token to maybe 10 times the current size, the slide issue disappears.  As I increase the size, it slides less. It did work for the first session mid-last month but something seems to have changed recently? When it slides, it does not slide into a hex.  So it's not a snap to grid issue.   Thanks! Christopher
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Christopher, Try right-clicking on the Token that slides, go into the token menu &gt; Advanced &gt; uncheck "Is Drawing".&nbsp; Make the token into a Token not a Drawing.&nbsp; What you described sounds like it might be the behavior of a token that has been turned into a Drawing (which will not snap). Wiki docs related, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Manipulating_Graphics#As_D" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Manipulating_Graphics#As_D</a>... If this doesn't fix it, please post again and we will pursue troubleshooting measures.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I was thinking the other way around gold, this sounds like he's placing it and then it is sliding to a different place (aka snapping to the grid). I haven't used the hex grid much (that'll change when my players get their first starship combat in a few sessions of our Starfinder game), so not sure how the snapping works for hex.

Edited 1518669844
IIRC, under the hexes is really a square grid that tokens align to, so they don't always line up accurately.
Ok, I did some testing with the "is drawing" feature.&nbsp; Initially, the "is drawing" is turned off.&nbsp; I copied the token from the sample provided at the top of the page and paste it.&nbsp; No slide occured on pasting the copy.&nbsp; As soon as I moved it ("is drawing" is not checked) it moves.&nbsp; Same as above.&nbsp;&nbsp; I then selected the "is drawing" on the token and tried to move it.&nbsp; This time there was no sliding.&nbsp; Which makes sense.&nbsp; (Woohoo!&nbsp; *small victories*)&nbsp; There is also no snap but I can live with that. I turned the "is drawing" back off and tried the move again.&nbsp; Again it slides.&nbsp; Scott C. is correct in that I move the token where I want it, then release it and it slides after the release.&nbsp; It does not even slide to match the hex map, it just slides diagonally down and to the right.&nbsp; It slides far enough to cover several hexes in how far it moves. I can totally deal with the "is drawing" fix that we found.&nbsp; It's just curious as to why it's actually doing the slide thing.&nbsp; Thanks so much!!

Edited 1518730133
Gold
Forum Champion
Fun community-conversation in diagnosing this, so far. Scott's right, Rabulias is also correct and provides another clue towards this mystery. Both of their answers are underpinning some of the reasons here. The slide is the snap-to-grid feature (you can override the snapping when Token is "not drawing" by holding the ALT key while you drag-drop the token). The hex grid has an underlying square grid (which is invisible, and which matches up surprisingly well). The good news is the underlying square grid normally works Okay for snap-to-grid-on-Hex. It doesn't always get over-the-lines of hexes, a token can move fairly-neatly centered through hex to hex with snapping, in the proper setup. Here are 2 more factors that could make the snap-to-underlying-square-grid to have the effect that The Harv is seeing. 1. What's your Unit Size-Scale under Page Settings? If scale is anything other than "1" this could have an effect on how it looks like it's crossing multiple hexes especially when combined with the next factor.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Page_Size" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Page_Size</a> 2. Biggest factor I'm guessing at play here -- the Token is resized to non-square (possibly with some transparency in the graphic?) and is not 1x1 units.&nbsp; When tokens snap (they snap to the underlying square grid, keep that in mind), a token that fills more-or-less than 1 full square, will be positioned at the Top-Left of the square (not in the middle as you might expect).&nbsp; So if you have a miniaturized-token, or an oversized multi-unit token, when it snaps to the underlying grid, it's not lining up with your hexes. It's overlapping and appears off-centered when it snaps. Solution to #2 is: Square-up your token. Make a new Page with a square grid. Paste your Token onto that Page. Resize your token to fit neatly in a square area (1x1, 2x2, 4x4, whatever).&nbsp; If the graphic is rectangular and not square, the best way to fix is in an external graphics editor where you can add margins called padding, so that the picture exists centered on a square canvas. You can also distort the graphic to fit the square just by resizing in Roll20 handles. Last, copy your squared-up token back to the Hex page. Now it should appear to center on a hex when it snaps. If that doesn't work, write back. Thread remains open and other community members may have additional insights. A Wiki page about graphics, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Image_Best_Practices_for_R" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Image_Best_Practices_for_R</a>...