Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

XP Tracking

Edited 1518817978
New DM here and need a little guidance. I've built my first campaign using a purchased module. It took about 2 hours to read the DM guide/book and another 4 hours or so to learn roll20 and setup the purchased module, add my players, create their char sheets and add their tokens to the first combat map. Seems like a pretty average learning curve which I'm pretty happy with. Where I'm stuck is how to track XP and leveling. The DMG would have me write it down after every battle or assign it to my players and have them track it. This seems cumbersome and will pause the role playing experience.  How are experienced DMs doing this? I noticed two scrips "EasyExperience" and ExperienceTracker" but neither are clear on how the transition takes place from says 6 dead "virtual" kobolds (~150XP) to tracking and leveling a party of 5 unique players. Does the DM have to do basic math and assign to each char or assume everyone has the same XP? Sorry just a bit confused on what these or other scripts automate or how DMs are managing this task. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1518830070
XP - you can either track XP and aware players X amount of XP per combat... this will require math knowing how much XP each monster is worth. You can reward them per session and throw a number out there for them; or, milestone, when you feel they should level up, you tell them to level up.  if you wish to use the first one - get easyexperience use this macro !xp challenge @{selected|npc_xp} than use !xp session to reward them the total sum divided by amount of player how !xp challenge @{selected|npc_xp} works. Click on the monster token, click on macro, you will see a chat message that it worked. repeat this with each monster token. This macro works on all compendium monsters, Monster manual and Volvo
Thanks, appreciate he response. I will give it a try.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Glad to see people still like EasyExperience :)
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
If you're not using the milestone method, I'd highly recommend EasyExperience. It's really everything you could need, especially if you set up a macro to handle the XP awarded in a session. Scott C. said: Glad to see people still like EasyExperience :) Scott, it's one of my "must haves" for XP based campaigns. I really won't do an XP advancing system without it! Thank you!
TY Kirsty. As a new DM and never having played the module/campaign I am taking my brothers through, I won't know where the milestones should be. Scoot is going to help me get the script debugged and hopefully fixed. -Jason