Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Fog of War Help

Edited 1518838946
Is there a step by step guide somewhere? I've googled and looked at the wiki's but I'm missing something. on a fresh town map that will be encountered at night, I can leave it off and my players will see all the buildings which isn't optimal. When I enable Fog of war or advanced fog of war everything goes black which should be good but my player tokens aren't illuminating. I've setup every token that has racial Dark Vision but still nothing. The how to  video on YouTube demonstrates the feature in a dungeon where someone has drawn green lines around all the walls but the narrator doesn't explain how that was done or if it's critical to the process. When I CTRL+L when my fog of war is enabled, nothing changes. Hoping someone was a green as me at one point and knows what I'm doing wrong :) Thanks in advance!

Edited 1518841694
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Just a little help. Warning: I'm not an expert... ;-P Make sure your page is setup for aFow Token's need to see in the dark.  Make sure your player's token's have "Has sight".  If the token is a light source ie torch, lamp, etc. check "All players see light".  If you want them to be able move the light, give the players control of the token as well.  The lines are drawn on the dynamic layer to create line of sight and/or restrict movement. As GM, use CTRL+L on a token to see the map from it's pov.
Thanks. I've done everything you outline above already except drawn the lines on the dynamic layer. I'll try that.but as you noted, that should just be for line of sight. My chars tokens are illuminating at all and when I CTRL+L nothing happens.

Edited 1518845024
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
hmmm.  Make sure the token is not on the GM layer when you are testing CTRL+L on a token.  Keep those player token's on the "Objects & Tokens" layer, or the Map & Background" layer.  I think you can place light sources on the Dynamic layer as well.  Good for unknown and/or unseen light sources.
Awesome, I got it working! Thank you. I think it had somethign to do with having both fog and advanced fog checked by mistake. Once I took regular fog off, the CTRL+L worked and starting showing their view.

Edited 1518845705
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I believe you can use both Fow and aFoW at the same time.  CTRL+L doesn't always give a true depiction of what will be seen as a token.  I often rejoin as a player and/or test with another account.   Have fun.