Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] [Release] [Need testers] Elective Action Order / Popcorn Initiative 1.0.0

Edited 1520891053
Hello my dear Roll20 DMs! Maybe you have heard of " Elective Action Order " (also used in Fate) or " Popcorn Initiative " - this script implements that into Roll20! Please see the README on how to use it and the Installation Guide on how to set it up. I only play DnD 5e, so it's tailored for that. I don't know how it works with different systems.  I wrote this for myself, so every input you have is greatly appreciated! v1.1.0 - Added config value "showAllMenusToGM" which shows all next turn selection menus for the players also to the GM - Fix adding a X to a token not removing it from combat - Fix sending messages to characters controlled by "All players"
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Neat!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's great to add this, and it looks really nice. If I'm not using a DnD System, will this work properly? I'm a little confused what effects the game system would have, since popcorn initiative is basically systemless. 

Edited 1519242758
Initiative is still used to determine the very first turn, and it's currently rolling "1d20  + getAttrByName(character, 'initiative')" by default (or using your supplied formula, if you did so) I don't really know what other systems do and how to make this systemless. Supplying your own formula for the initiative at the start basically makes this systemless I guess.

Edited 1519529477
Do you have any plans to add an animated marker to whoever is doing the turn now?
Haha, yes, I was in fact talking to Aaron about including his markerscript functionality with mine.

Edited 1520544796
I could see one thing that would be really great is if you could essentially use group init and this in conjunction with each other. In my game I just select all things in the combat and hit the group-init button and it rolls all. Then if I could use this after that takes effect that would be really cool. I find it takes PCs forever to roll Init sometimes so I just do it for them. They complain when their roll is low but mah, it's digital dice I don't control and they don't either.
You can essentially do this, just select all characters and do "!eao add", boom, all your players in initiative.

Edited 1520882831
Timo said: You can essentially do this, just select all characters and do "!eao add", boom, all your players in initiative. I figured that out by testing that very thing. One thing I need to know is how do I control PCs? I sometimes have PCs that aren't able to make it to the game and I found out the hard way that when the turn goes to them I as the DM am not able to see the turn selection. Like in this example if Forelock isn't at my game, I can't send the initiative to the next player. I would also like to know this for play at the Table, I know people who use Roll20 and only have one account that the players use. I tried adding myself as a controller of the sheet but that doesn't seem to work. Also I freaking love this, I thought you should know that. I find traditional initiative boring, this added a ton of fun to the system.
I added a config value "showAllMenusToGM", which shows all next turn selection menus for the players also to the GM. Setting that to true should alleviate your problem :)
Thank you.
I was wondering, have you considered how to add something like Rage counter to the turn. In the normal initiative I would add a custom item to count down every turn. I was using the Custom Item Turn API. Found here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3346285/script-t" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3346285/script-t</a>... Another gem from the Scriptomancer. I really love this, just so you know.
I already planned that before I actually released it, I just wanted to get the script out first. <a href="https://gitlab.com/azzurite/ElectiveActionOrder/is" rel="nofollow">https://gitlab.com/azzurite/ElectiveActionOrder/is</a>... But after thinking about it, it's probably a good idea to make that initiative-agnostic, so it'll be its own script and will work with normal initiative as well as elective action order.
Really nice it sure would make keeping up with it easier.
It's great that at least someone likes it :D I mainly wrote this for myself and I thought noone would really care about it, as I only know of people using the default initiative.
Yes, but default initiative is boring. I like that this mixes it up. It also favors strategy far more than traditional init.
Any headway on adding markers?
Not yet :(