Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The just-for-fun Alycia naming thread [Cutscene] [Prep]

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy; Thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot, Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part Belonging to a man. O, be some other name! What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet; So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd, Retain that dear perfection which he owes Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, And for that name which is no part of thee Take all myself. -- Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act 2, sc. 2 She sits in a small, white cell, on the small, white, lone bunk, in her white paper pajamas, staring up at the white ceiling and the (not white) camera pod there. The pod is synced to the camera in the hallway; if any significant activity happens differently on one than the other (i.e., if she tampers with the one she can actually reach), many alarms will go off. She's not looking to escape (yet), so that's not an issue. "Names," she says, aloud, writing the word on a virtual piece of paper in her head. AEGIS insists on a "secret identity" for her, which, to be honest, seems like a good idea. Associating with the daughter of one of the most notorious science villains of all time, having a record as a terrorist herself, would do neither the agency nor the Menagerie any good -- from a publicity standpoint, she hastens to add. It should be of great benefit to them, and to her, if all goes as intended. A secret identity requires a secret ID, a nom de guerre , a sobriquet (she's spinning up her inner thesaurus). It will also require some sort of mask, hood, or other facial recognition defeat system (and gloves, and voice prints, and even more elaborate biometrics). The Western Media -- at least in the city, and probably beyond given the abrupt international notoriety the group has received from Vyortovia -- will throw all their resources into determining who she, as a new member, is. Hidden identities are increasingly rare, which makes them all the more intriguing. What makes a good "hero name," though, is a matter of taste, image and branding, trademark, and the ability to stomach the matter. Alycia Chin resents the need to hide herself, even if she understands it. In some ways, it's no different than the identities she's assumed in the past. But this is -- if not permanent, then long-term, and meant to be about herself, not about hiding herself. Hiding herself, but being herself. She shakes her head, organizes some headings on the mental piece of paper, begins. She lacks some flashy external power -- super-speed, flaming head, glowing aura, lightning bolts -- that many folk use. She's not -- will not -- be known as some patriotic term, or hero associated with one particular group. "Citizen of the World" she said. That cuts away another field to use. All right, then -- personal or abstract qualities that she would represent. Might as well go on the nose with her current "agenda." REDEEMER REDEMPTION ATONEMENT ATONER AMENDS REDRESS REFORMED SATISFACTION Ugh. She sweeps those off the table. Too abstract. Too ... groveling. She wants redemption, atonement, all of that. But wearing the sentiment on her sleeve? No. FREEDOM SALVATION Ditto. EMANCIPATION That's wrong on so many levels. JUSTIFICATION JUSTIFIER JUSTICE No, that's getting worse -- it sounds like she's trying to justify what she did . She cannot. And will not. And she knows that many would consider justice for her crimes to be something quite different. ABSOLUTION GRACE CONVERT NOVITIATE And that's beginning to get into "opiate of the masses" territory. Alycia Chin has no formal view on spiritual matters, save for a vague sense of there being purpose to the universe that is beyond simple comprehension. Her contempt is fierce for most organized religions as tools used by the power structure to regulate the rebelliousness and defiance of their followers. No, she won't even sound like she's part of that. CATHARSIS Clever, but no. MURDERER TERROR BLOOD-SOAKED Stop it! Okay, a different tack. What else is she trying to do, to be? DEFENDER VINDICATOR Hmmm. Not bad. Not distinguished (and she's pretty sure one, if not both, is already taken by someone) but maybe that's the right track. Pivot again. No flashy powers, but what is it she does best? That makes her stand out. GENIUS She's aware she has an ego, but not so large (or fragile) a one as to use that as her name. ENDOWED No. Just ... no. PRECOCIOUS God, no. SAGE ACUMEN FLAIR KNACK ADEPT Hmmmm. Something there. Not the first, but -- they're short, snappy, interesting, hint at possibilities and skills. Not quite right, but in the ballpark. Mythology is another common category to draw from. She has no strong ties to her Chinese heritage, and, operating out of Halcyon, most Chinese names or translations of these words she's considering will sound odd and awkward. But Greco-Roman mythology pervades the West (a result of both nations' imperialism millennia ago), in a way that other Western ethnicities (the Norse, the Slavs, etc.) cannot match. So ... ATHENA Warrior goddess, wisdom goddess. Pretentious, perhaps. HIPPOLYTA Let's not start out a new career being sued. Also, though she does not consider herself physically vain, no 17 year old woman wants a name with "hippo" in it. FURY Hmm. The Furies, the Erinyes, were punishers of evildoing, something that fits tonally, but the word has morphed in usage to something different. Does she want to be known so much for being angry? Who were the Furies? TISOPHONE (avenger of murder) MEGAERA (the jealous) ALECTO (constant anger) Dead end. Too obscure. Hmmm. A play on words? Her given name, Alycia, means "noble". NOBLE IMPERIOUS Ugh. No, that sounds too royalist. PEER Interesting, even egalitarian, but ... well, no, she doesn't have many peers. Chin (or its Pinyin version, Qin) doesn't carry a meaning. It was the name of the founder of the first imperial dynasty in China (hence the nation's name). DYNASTY Given her rejection of her father, no, probably not. Her spatial abilities? SPATIAL GEOMETER Silliness. Okay, how about lampshading it? SOBRIQUET IDENTITY No, definitely not. MYSTERY ENIGMA RIDDLE SUBTLE Hmmm. Worth considering. Not quite there, though. And does she want to actually encourage that sense of mystery, to challenge people to penetrate her "secret identity"? Probably not. INSCRUTIBLE That draws a laugh out loud, which probably confuses the people monitoring her. CHARADE Mysterious, but playful. Testifying to her training. Challenging people who don't believe in her, who doubt her sincerity (and they will be -- are -- many).Layers within layers. Perhaps. Perhaps. Put a pin in that one for now. Something better might come up. If not ...
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
"Silencer" off the table, then? :) I like Knack. Also: Savvy.
Out of the all the options mentioned, I liked Adept.  Don't know why, just sounds good.  Certainly doesn't hurt that if someone started to say Alycia correcting into Adept wouldn't be too hard.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Good point! :)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mr. Big's general advice for villain names:&nbsp; <a href="https://villainsvictorious.blogspot.com/2014/06/ru" rel="nofollow">https://villainsvictorious.blogspot.com/2014/06/ru</a>... If X is suggested, Leo's response would be... Vindicator: "That's very 80's." Sage, Acumen, Flair, Knack, Adept: "Bearded old guy, crap, flame powers - flare, y'know, dorky, weird." Savvy: "Captain Jack Sparrow." Athena: "Great, you can go talk to Hecate for us." Megaera: "Disney movie fans actually would recognize this, and probably associate it with a woman scorned who falls for the hero. Is that you?" Mystery, Enigma, Riddle, Subtle: "Nothing mysterious about shooting people. Go for it if you're gonna sneak around and plot stuff, though." Charade: "A charade is something people fall for, or a deceit. Enough of this charade, that sorta thing. I mean, if that's the image you want..." I don't know, you pick something: "Name yourself for who you want to be, not who you are. Make people expect something from you, and expect it from yourself, by taking that name. You can pick a name nobody else would take, and make it your own."
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm also surprised that Eris wasn't in the running. From what has been written already, it feels like Discordianism would be right up her alley.
Bill G. said: I'm also surprised that Eris wasn't in the running. From what has been written already, it feels like Discordianism would be right up her alley. Yeah, I dig that particular train of thought.&nbsp;
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Having "Concord" and "The Discordian" on the same team would also tickle me pink but I'm not counting on that.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
And FWIW I do think Charade is a fine name. It's something that may teach Alycia something about herself too, or continue to teach her if she ever forgets. It feels like it could be an ironic reminder of her past life too.
Bill G. said: And FWIW I do think Charade is a fine name. It's something that may teach Alycia something about herself too, or continue to teach her if she ever forgets. It feels like it could be an ironic reminder of her past life too. &lt;evil grin&gt;&nbsp; This also gave me an idea for a uniform design.&nbsp; &nbsp;I'll have to play around with it when I get home just to see how it looks.&nbsp;
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh god, please let AEGIS provide her with a Department 33-approved teen hero costume, then have her tear it to shreds and build something new.
Good call on Eris. I don't think Alycia would quite go for it, but it ought to have been in consideration. (Also, yes, Concord and the Discordian would be a hoot, or else a great cover band name.) I'm pleased that a lot of the names she highlighted as possible met with approval. I'm also pleased with Leo's snark factor on them (I see much potential for a good friendship there, someday). I am (Alycia is) strongly leaning toward Charade, largely because it *is* kind of provocative and defiantly fomenting of distrust ("You don't fool me, missy! This whole 'going straight' thing on your part is just some devious --" "Charade? Yeah, I made a point to lampshade that, just on your behalf."). Also, it ties in with some other things, and it's kind of fun. Bill G. said: Oh god, please let AEGIS provide her with a Department 33-approved teen hero costume, then have her tear it to shreds and build something new. Something pink and short-sleeved and crop-topped, showing her belly button, with matching short shorts, sneakers,&nbsp;and hair bands. "We believe it's you, Ms. Chin."
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Alycia: "They gave me hair bands. HAIR BANDS!" Otto: "I love hair bands! Warrant, Bon Jovi..." Alycia: "GOD DAMMIT"
Bill G. said: Alycia: "They gave me hair bands. HAIR BANDS!" Otto: "I love hair bands! Warrant, Bon Jovi..." Alycia: "GOD DAMMIT" :-D
Which isn't to say she won't change her name again down the road, if her own self-perception or agenda items shift.
Equal parts because someone brought up the Red Hood in relation to Alycia joining the team and because this is all theatrics (at least from Alycia's point of view), this was my initial take on Charade's costume.
Oooh. So that is absolutely nothing like what I had been thinking, and if you'd told Alycia you were going for the theatrical look she'd have broken your kneecap -- but it is &nbsp;an effective disguise. And it gives her a smirk when she can't show a smirk. And the mask should help vs. the biometrics, and the bands break up the body structure. There's a lot to like there. Make sure the fabric (esp. the mask) breathes properly (comfort counts!) and you might be onto something.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Kind of gives off a Cheshire attitude from Young Justice, which I really like.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
It can also be a product of limited options. AEGIS's focus-group-approved option got torn to shreds. Her handler might take her to the evidence locker for captured supervillain stuff, including their costumes, and say "off the rack is all you got, honey". Or they might visit a theater and costume shop... More here:&nbsp;<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T8y3Af3dH0" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T8y3Af3dH0</a>
Doyce T. said: Kind of gives off a Cheshire attitude from Young Justice, which I really like. I can think of worse not-really-the-same-but-similar-vibe analogies.
Bill G. said: It can also be a product of limited options. AEGIS's focus-group-approved option got torn to shreds. Her handler might take her to the evidence locker for captured supervillain stuff, including their costumes, and say "off the rack is all you got, honey". Or they might visit a theater and costume shop... Alycia's instincts will be toward the practical -- things that (as priority): 1. Let her move . 2. Provide protection. 3. Provide masking of her identity. That said, exposure to something interesting or flashy or dramatic would be attractive in a "Huh, never thought of doing this" kind of way. Her experience working solo has been either buried in a bunker working on projects, wearing whatever was comfortable, and occasionally surfacing for food, materials, or to fight off raiders -- or doing infiltration in whatever costuming was appropriate (stealth suits, fashionable corporate wear, etc.). The idea of a "costume" like one of those four-color golden age hero geeks is making her eyes roll so hard her hair vibrates.

Edited 1519669505
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike said: Equal parts because someone brought up the Red Hood in relation to Alycia joining the team and because this is all theatrics (at least from Alycia's point of view), this was my initial take on Charade's costume. Cell door opens. No preamble. AEGIS agent walks in. Mid-fifties. Rumpled blazer, heavy silk blouse, pearl necklace, Aura of Don't Fuck With Me, 15' radius . Glowers at room, walls, table. Not at me, though. New twist. Walks to table. Glowers at glossies of AEGIS-approved costumes. Raises eyebrow at my 'feedback.' Smirks twice. Nods four times. Promising. Brushes photos aside. Spins legal pad around. Scowls at list of names. Taps pad. "Charade,"&nbsp;she announces. "We can make that one work. Costigan will hate it." Upside? Downside? Surprisingly hard to tell. "I'll get fabrication on something you can try out by tomorrow. Put it through the paces, please." She turns back to the door. "In the meantime, I authorized YouTube during your free time this afternoon. Enjoy the show." And... gone. Except for the business card she left on the table. [Many, MANY thanks to Mike for the awesome picture of Special Agent Parker.]
Alycia leans back against the wall. Well, well.This Parker grup was acting all tough, but she led with carrots, not sticks. Sincere, or just trying to be the good cop after all the bad one's they've blustered and droned at me with? Either way, I may be able to work with her. And, of course, around her. &nbsp;A smile. T ally-ho. Now, what the hell to watch on YouTube? Hmmm ... that "Secret Scandals of AEGIS" documentary that Infowars lunatic did last year would get someone's knickers in a twist, which would be damned amusing, but let's not push too &nbsp;hard. I do want to be let out of here sometime soon. Maybe just some local news, demonstrate an investment in the community, that sort of thing. Must look like a good little prole to comfort the ones who think they're running the show ... though I'll be damned if I'm going to start following their 'sports' team. --- [Much fun, and nice intro. Not sure about the +44 country code, though. AEGIS routes all calls through the UK? That must discourage some crank callers from the US yelling about giant cats on their lawn. :-) ]

Edited 1519672104
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: [Much fun, and nice intro. Not sure about the +44 country code, though. AEGIS routes all calls through the UK? That must discourage some crank callers from the US yelling about giant cats on their lawn. :-) ] She's played by a younger Dame Judi Dench, who kept her old UK number. See also the last three digits.

Edited 1519672273
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah that's interesting isn't it? :-) I was actually going for an older Hayley Atwell, but Dame Judi Dench works just fine also. :-)
If I were Alycia, I'd be DEEPLY concerned over either an older Hayley Atwell or a younger Judi Dench. Fortunately (for the eventual drama/hilarity), this is one of the few areas where Alycia's not as smart as I am.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Doyce T. said: I was actually going for an older Hayley Atwell, but Dame Judi Dench works just fine also. :-) I will not spin out an exhaustive fan theory about how "M"argaret "Peggy" Carter went on to a very productive career at MI-6. I will not further suggest that Alycia had an intriguing encounter with one of their junior agents (who was himself in pursuit of Russian infiltrator "Jenny Byrne" ), who might make an appearance in town (along with Jenny?) now that Alycia has reappeared.
Bill G. said: I will not spin out an exhaustive fan theory about how "M"argaret "Peggy" Carter went on to a very productive career at MI-6. I will not further suggest that Alycia had an intriguing encounter with one of their junior agents (who was himself in pursuit of Russian infiltrator "Jenny Byrne" ), who might make an appearance in town (along with Jenny?) now that Alycia has reappeared. Cue the Monty Norman / John Barry music ...
Bill G. said: I will not spin out an exhaustive fan theory about how "M"argaret "Peggy" Carter went on to a very productive career at MI-6. I will not further suggest that Alycia had an intriguing encounter with one of their junior agents (who was himself in pursuit of Russian infiltrator "Jenny Byrne" ), who might make an appearance in town (along with Jenny?) now that Alycia has reappeared. Okay, that was enough to create an actual Jenny Byrne entry in the wiki (as, shockingly, I'd forgotten about her). Though not with any exhaustive fan theories about her.&nbsp; (I've been doing some wiki catch up this week -- there is also an official entry for the Monkey with a Hat.)
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Now, what the hell to watch on YouTube? Alycia closes the annoyingly secure chromebook. Well. Interesting. Nice little introduction to the team. Part of her wants to put team in air quotes, but ... No. They are. Hot mess, the lot of them, but definitely a team. Still, really helps a girl get over opening night jitters. She gives a sour little smirk. And trust a Quill to take an amusing little dig and answer it seriously. Time travel? Really? Like he doesn't have enough problems.
Hee!
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Doyce T. said: She gives a sour little smirk. And trust a Quill to take an amusing little dig and answer it seriously. Time travel? Really? Like he doesn't have enough problems. I now worry that Leo and Alycia are going to bond over insulting Jason. "Has that guy always been useless at romance, or what?" "Oh yes, he went on a date with a Russian spy and didn't even notice." "And that hoverdisc? Honestly." "Oh god, that thing. At one point it had exhaust cowling mounted so the whole thing looked like a 'Q' from the air. Give me a microlight aircraft or glider for stealthy infiltration any day."
Bill G. said: I now worry that Leo and Alycia are going to bond over insulting Jason. "Has that guy always been useless at romance, or what?" "Oh yes, he went on a date with a Russian spy and didn't even notice." "And that hoverdisc? Honestly." "Oh god, that thing. At one point it had exhaust cowling mounted so the whole thing looked like a 'Q' from the air. Give me a microlight aircraft or glider for stealthy infiltration any day." I have such incredible mixed feelings about this. :-)