Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Mood Boards

Edited 1519691637
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Brainstorming. First one for Heroes are Magic, who will feature tonight.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Surprisingly hard to find a couple of the images I wanted for this. There's definitely a poetry to making these - for example, having each panel try to hold at least two meanings.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
This one took awhile, between the combination of finding good images and trying some of the positioning tools Canva provides.

Edited 1525554073
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I also want to say thanks for introducing me to this concept, you guys. Some of these are pretty straightforward, some are colorful, some are dark (jesus, Alycia), but I can tell something about every character. I hope to see more as inspiration strikes. #Meme
An appalling amount of time and digging through past forum posts went into this, but I thought she deserved it, given the increased screen time she has been getting. Also, it is incredibly hard to find a good image of a person flying, especially heroines.  Every one is stick thin and has the leg lift that my dad "loves."
That's excellent, James. And, yeah, the one-leg-left for female flyers bugs the snot out of me for some reason. I mean, even in stock images. One can find plenty of exceptions, but it's the go-to pose for flying female metas. And while you can find males doing the same thing, it's much less common. But I digress. Again, good job, James.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
"Why are you flying like that?" "I have a leg cramp."
James H. said: Also, it is incredibly hard to find a good image of a person flying, especially heroines.  Every one is stick thin and has the leg lift that my dad "loves." *** Dave H. said: And, yeah, the one-leg-left for female flyers bugs the snot out of me for some reason. One can find plenty of exceptions, but it's the go-to pose for flying female metas. And while you can find males doing the same thing, it's much less common. But I digress. Again, good job, James. As with many things, it's one of those things that started out as a reference to something else but has been going on for so long that a lot of people don't realize where it came from.  In this case, that pose was originally a reference to war plane pin-up nose art but over time has just become "generic woman flying pose." Yeah... this is also one of those things were learning the origin of something doesn't make you dislike it any less.
And they all have capes.  Because to fly, of course you have to have a cape.  Capes hold flying power.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
In a superhero universe, this was a very different movie:
James H. said: And they all have capes.  Because to fly, of course you have to have a cape.  Capes hold flying power. Well, at least three of the examples I gave (Ms Marvel, Hawkgirl, and Starfire) don't have capes. Nor does (except on ceremonial occasions) Wonder Woman. So there's that. (Storm sometimes has a cape, sometimes has kind of arm-wingy-flaps, but she's flying via actual wind power, so that almost works.) Having just rewatched The Incredibles,  that no-capes scene is brutal (insert reference to the EMode Capes Theory here ). Interestingly, it's also the only scene that confirms that the visual mid-century modern style choices for the movie are, in fact, non-anachronistic, as Edna cites the dates of first few cape incidents, and they're all in the late 1950s.