Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Running a 5e Game and having trouble Making NPC's with classes and other issues

Ok so I am a simple idiot- ask the village idiot and hell point at me and say that guy is an IDIOT.  Now that my credentials are out in the open ---- I need some help with using the 5e sheet to input NPC's - ie fighters Warlocks and Bards - oh my!   Also - I need to know how to input custom Monsters as I am converting a Pathfinder adventure over. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Which 5e sheet, and what specific problems are you having that we might be able to help you solve?
 sam using the roll 20 sheet.  How do I make leveled NPC's - ie opponents that are not dragged and dropped from the compendium?  Also if I have an ability that is not an Attack what is the proper format to make a roll?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sorry, my experience with the Roll20 sheet is rather limited. For leveled NPCs, you would build them as a PC, just don't assign them to a player. They would be a PC in build, (level/class/etc.) but controlled only by the DM. I can't really help you much with the second part, as the formation of an ability is determined from sheet to sheet. You could set up an ability macro on the Attributes and Abilities table of the character sheet that would be more generic. Teaching general principles is a bit beyond a single forum post, though. Unless you have a specific example, I would suggest going through the  Wiki and familiarizing yourself with the  macro language and  dice roll syntax . There are some  great examples to show you a lot of common cases.
keith what sheet do you suggest for use with roll 20 from a DM perspective- The Macro Language makes my head go all fuzzy -- J/k but its hard for me to figure out beyond the basics
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If the macro language makes your head go dizzy, then the Roll20 OGL sheet is probably simpler. I prefer the Shaped Sheet, because it does have some very nice features, some of which are pretty accessible, but it does require some diligence. My suggestion is to create a sandbox campaign with each sheet. Try to create a character in each. In fact, try to create two characters, each with different abilities in each. Do a mock combat. You've got nothing but time, and you can screw anything up, because these are just simple test campaigns. Also, either sheet will let you pull a sample monster out of the SRD tab. They won't have a custom icon, but you can pull out a goblin and an orc, say. Neither of which is terribly complicated. Open up their sheets and peek around. Look for where abilities are recorded, and how they are written out. Click on things just to see what they do.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, either sheet should allow you to pull equipment out of the SRD tab onto your sheet. Create a blank PC. Give it a level of fighter. Drag a longsword onto the character, see where it goes and how the info is recorded. You can also try watching some of the beginner tutorials on Youtube. Some folks acquire new knowledge faster by seeing than being told, others by trying.
Just having you to talk to has really helped- i am picking up the macro language - I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me out - i will be looking at the diffeent sheets in sandboxes. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cheers. :)